The Public Safety Group (PSG), a division of Jones & Bartlett Learning and Ascend Learning, has become the world’s most innovative and trusted source for educational materials and solutions for Emergency Medical Services (EMS) and fire students, educators, and professionals by combining the collective value of our people, products, and partners. From initial training to recertification to retirement, we strive to be a lifelong learning partner to those who serve our communities tirelessly and ensure our safety and well-being.
The Content Development Manager is a combination of a management and lead development editor position responsible for ensuring a highly competent editorial staff that delivers market-leading products, increased revenue streams, and list growth year-over-year.
As applicable, this position is also a key liaison to partner organizations, responsible for diplomacy and relationship management, ensuring that a high level of commitment and collaboration is delivered to maintain contracts with publishing partners.
- Translates the needs of the business into product development best practices with the editorial team; takes direction from Executive Editors and Acquisitions Editors.
- Editorial oversight of all product development.
- Define consistent product definitions across division.
- Drive processes and procedures that result in superior products that meet market needs.
- Operational oversight: On a daily basis, ensure efficiency and effectiveness of product development team.
- Workload management: Using staff Dev Editors, freelance editors, SMEs, and development houses, strategically manage workload.
- Develops and maintains editorial freelancer pool to allow expansion of resources during heavy revision cycles.
- Liaise with Shared Service colleagues to establish best practices, arrange trainings, and communicate updates across the team.
- Hires, trains, develops, and evaluates performance of editorial staff.
- Identifies and assigns editor or editorial team for each project; continually assesses team workload to mobilize resources as needed.
- Establishes editorial best practices; works with employees to implement across team.
- Works with senior colleagues to identify long-term strategic initiatives.
Education & Experience
- BA or BS
- 10+ years’ development experience in multiple publishing formats, preferably in relevant subject areas.
- Experience in educational/textbook publishing required.
- Significant experience in supervisory or mentorship role, preferably in business setting.
- Academic or teaching experience desirable.
Skills & Abilities
- Superior communication and relationship management skills.
- Ability to build a high level of commitment and loyalty in editorial, author, partner, and customer base.
- Diplomacy, collaboration, and professional leadership qualities.
- Strong analytical and creative abilities to drive toward solutions.
- Long-term vision for financial health and sustainability of assigned disciplines.