About Morning Consult:
Morning Consult is a billion-dollar, global enterprise technology company specializing in intelligent data to power leaders’ intelligent decisions. The company’s proprietary technology, including both AI and machine-learning solutions, pairs with leading, high-frequency datasets and access to more than 100 million people globally, to optimize decision making. Morning Consult’s proven advantage drives more accurate decisions at unparalleled speed and scale.
Morning Consult is looking for a Consumer Prices and Inflation Economist to join the company’s growing Economic Research Unit. In this role, you will directly report to the Chief Economist and be part of the firm’s growing team of economic experts. In this role, your primary responsibility will be to develop written analyses and content using Morning Consult’s proprietary price expectations data to help our clients make better business decisions and position Morning Consult as a leader in economic research.
This is a new role at Morning Consult and is part of the growing Analyst unit that will be responsible for powering Morning Consult’s new subscription offering that uses Morning Consult’s proprietary data to deliver analysis and insight on the most pressing issues and trends facing business, investment and government leaders. As a subject matter expert on consumer prices and inflation, you will work with a group of internal stakeholders to develop global consumer prices and inflation forecasting models and produce recurring consumer prices and inflation forecasts and analysis.
You will be positioned in the media and at industry events as a thought leader in fast-moving economic developments.
The ideal candidate in this role will be able to operate independently, has a deep understanding of global economic trends relevant to consumer prices and inflation, as well as of survey research and data, and a knack for writing compelling analysis for an elite readership. This role is a unique opportunity to lay the groundwork for a new team and product line at a rapidly growing company and will get to take advantage of Morning Consult’s wealth of existing resources and leading-edge data and technology products.
Key Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
- Write weekly and long-term, forward-looking analyses of significant consumer prices and inflation trends affecting businesses and policymakers using Morning Consult’s proprietary data.
- Develop, validate and support global consumer price and inflation forecasting models in aggregate and across key consumer spending categories and produce monthly global consumer price and inflation forecasts using Morning Consult’s proprietary data.
- Plan and execute a comprehensive consumer prices and inflation analysis calendar and be the go-to in-house resource for all economic-related research related to consumer prices and inflation in aggregate and across key consumer spending categories.
- Build and manage a team of economists responsible for researching and publishing analysis related to global consumer price and inflation developments.
- Develop, update and maintain monthly global consumer price and inflation chartbooks that present a compelling economic analysis of Morning Consult’s proprietary data.
- Collaborate with our client services and sales division to identify unique areas of insight and serve as a resource with clients and internal stakeholders.
- Represent Morning Consult publicly as a consumer prices and inflation expert by speaking regularly at conferences, client events, and with broadcast outlets and major media organizations.
- Conduct empirical research on issues related to structural economic trends and business cycle fluctuations to support content produced by the Economic Research, Geopolitical Risk and Industry Analysis Divisions.
Note: we view this section as a guide, not a checklist. We encourage you to apply even if you don’t satisfy every single bullet on this list!
- 6-10 years of professional writing and quantitative research experience in the field of economics, finance, consulting or economic policy, including a minimum of 2 years serving in a management or team lead capacity
- Master’s or PhD degree in economics, statistics, political science or other relevant field
- Advanced time series analysis and econometrics, including seasonality analysis and adjustments
- Minimum of 4 years of economic forecasting experience, including model development, calibration, validation and documentation
- Familiarity with academic, government and private sector macroeconomic research related to consumer prices and inflation, including the significance of changes in consumer prices for monetary policy.
- Familiarity with public and private price, inflation and inflation expectations datasets
- Familiarity with survey research and methodology, preferably price expectations survey research and open end numeric survey responses
- Expert in PowerPoint and Excel
- Advanced programming experience, preferably in R or Python, including outlier identification and treatment
- Analytic writing for the business community
- Experience presenting and speaking at conferences, on panels or with media
- Eagerness to learn and collaborate with others
- Ability to work under pressure and in a frequently changing environment
- Insatiable curiosity and a drive to be a thought leader in economic research
- Strong attention to detail and high degree of demonstrated decision-making and problem solving skills
- Desire to work in a fast-moving environment