Consumer Marketing Insights Manager - Brand Building
Brand Building focused Consumer Marketing Insights (CMI) at Newell Brands is a discipline that is linked closely to trade marketing, category management, consumer-driven innovation new launches, and shopper centric retailer solutions. Consumer Marketing Insights efforts are grounded in deep understanding of brands, consumers, shoppers, competition, product categories, cultural trends and market dynamics.
CMI Managers contribute to the delivery of actionable information about the consumer, shopper, retailer and marketplace to the business. The CMI Manager is a trusted strategic business advisor to trade marketing, category management, the sales organization and the broader cross-functional team.
The CMI Manager influences recommendations on brand and product portfolio management, retailer strategy, and strategic in-market growth planning with a constant focus on the consumer, shopper and marketplace. The CMI Manager participates in the creation of the strategic consumer and shopper learning plan and is responsible for its execution.
Strategy and Brand Vision Support:
• Provides guidance to direct manager during strategic planning and situation assessments by incorporating shopper learning into retailer strategy and providing direction regarding brand progress and opportunities in-market.
• Coordinates research activities and evaluates possibly opportunities for growth or new learning white space.
• Applies current knowledge to assist trade and category management colleagues in determining how our brands could grow in market, using current consumer and shopper perceptions and market trends combined with new platform understanding.
• Makes recommendations grounded in shopper knowledge and guided by a broader understanding of the business.
• Brings a spirit of collaboration and service to the role.
Consumer and Shopper Research:
• Assists with a variety of research methods such as: feature analysis, marketing mix analysis, consumer decision tree understanding, brand health analysis, in-market advertising assessments, and brand or product line growth analysis.
• Communicates actionable unbiased recommendations on how to move the business forward by delivering solutions that surprise and delight the shopper.
• Coordinates process of helping all stakeholders (both internal and external) understand the full spectrum of consumer and shopper touch points.
• Assists in the process of identifying unmet shopper needs.
• Participates in the process point of sale materials creation, ensuring that consumer-friendly language is being used.
• Manages and executes the customer research to determine which opportunities have the most potential for the business.
• Communicates insights to key stakeholders.
Category and Market Landscape Analysis:
• Assists with research related to primary/secondary sources of market place trend data.
• Coordinates the measuring and monitoring of our brands and products in comparison to all relevant competition, including fielding of brand health tracking research and assisting internal communications.
• Administers research to evaluate quality and potential impact of marketing communication activity (e.g. in-market advertising impact, brand awareness tracking, etc.).
Shopper Culture and Advocacy:
• Demonstrates curiosity about and respect for our consumers and shoppers.
• Assists with opportunities to bring cross-functional team members closer to consumers and shoppers.
• Implements the organization’s strategic learning plan for shopper research.
• Communicates research findings to organizational counterparts.
• Serves as an unbiased, empathetic representative for the shopper and their needs.
• Translates shopper needs and wishes into business opportunities.
• Ensures research projects are designed to ask the right research question and address important business issues.
• Matches research to business needs and gains stakeholder alignment on scope.
• Demonstrates effective project management including setting appropriate action standards, selecting and guiding suppliers, managing within budget and schedule constraints, and delivering actionable results.
• Oversees supplier relationships on research projects by setting a clear understanding of project scope, budget, and deliverables.
• Strategically incorporates seasoned supplier opinions and perspectives into project design and deliverables.
• Investigates suppliers for potential future projects and initiates capability assessment.
Organization Role, Structure and Talent Management:
• Collaborates with trade teams, category management and sales peers as appropriate to implement consumer marketing insights best practices.
• Implements actions to maximize the effectiveness of consumer marketing insights processes.
• Approves a clear statement of work and project scope for all research agencies before beginning work.
• Completes Performance Plus “My Action Plan” process for self and may review Performance Plus “My Action Plans” for consumer marketing insights team.
• Four-year college degree, graduate degree or PhD preferred.
• 4+ years of experience in a consumer insights/market research/McKinsey or similar consulting role.
• Client-side work in consumer products/durables preferred.
• Supplier-side research experience a plus.
• Demonstrates an understanding of differences among countries and cultures.
• Broad based experience in quantitative and qualitative research methods, with the ability to design and deploy research from the ground up.
• Experience executing the strategic learning plan for a brand or product category and managing a research budget accordingly.
• Experience tailoring communications to different audiences and communicating to stakeholders: brand leadership, cross-functional team members, agency and retail partners, etc.
• Genuine respect for and curiosity about consumers, shoppers, and end users.
• Experience discovering consumer insights that lead to actionable recommendations.
• Willingness to continuously build advocacy for the consumer insights function.