Consumer Healthcare Products - Business Development Manager
Job ref: 170
As part of the global expansion of our Consumer business we are growing our team in our Boston office.
Do you get excited about identifying the commercial benefit of new technologies? Would you like to lead world class technical teams in finding new business with Consumer Healthcare companies, and help them create the most innovative products and systems on the market?
Consumer Healthcare is a key opportunity area for us given the depth of experience we have in Consumer and Medical Technology sectors. We are therefore looking for a commercial leader with drive and ambition to identify market needs and trends, understand how technology can generate significant market share for our clients and convert those opportunities into a substantial fee-for-service consulting, design and development business for the Consumer Healthcare sector, based on a strategy and plan that you define.
You will take a leading role within our global Consumer business team. You will close significant personal sales, define marketing strategy, initiate and develop new clients, manage key clients and negotiate contracts. As well as the market facing aspect of the role, you will take commercial responsibility for the delivery of successful innovative projects to our clients and be working alongside world class project managers and technical leads.
You will work closely with colleagues who are market and technology specialists from across our Consumer and Medical businesses to leverage our experience and capabilities to identify the opportunities and ultimately build the Consumer Healthcare area.
This may include opportunities presented by the increasing regulation of consumer devices, consumer diagnostics, connected systems for health and wellbeing monitoring. Also opportunities created by Rx to OTC, and the transition from salon/clinic to home. You will be expected to bring your own personal experience and skills to shape and drive forward this part of the business.
Type of Work
Cambridge Consultants globally undertakes over 300 cutting edge technology projects every year. Our Boston office currently focuses on developing breakthrough technology in four markets:
- Consumer - building brand value for consumer healthcare, personal care, food & beverage and sports & fitness brands through the development of smart dispensing systems and connected sensor systems.
- Industrial & Energy - sensors, robotics and logistics systems for manufacturing, oil & gas and retail clients
- Drug delivery - innovative inhaler and injection device development
- Surgical & Interventional - development of tomorrow’s sophisticated surgical tools and implanted devices demands proven multidisciplinary and clinically aware design capabilities.
- Diagnostics – clinical diagnostics, at home use, POC and life sciences instrumentation development
We combine highly creative lateral thinking with excellent technical skills and a broad base of industry experience to form a powerful development team. Our work ranges from undertaking complete product developments from concept to manufacture, to providing consulting services for our clients on their technology, innovation and R&D processes.
You will be responsible for all aspects of business development in the Consumer Healthcare sector, working alongside other business development, project management and technical staff. You will:
- Identify companies that are potential clients for Cambridge Consultants
- Identify sales opportunities, work with and guide our technical teams to maximize sales conversion
- Personally close substantial sales
- Develop strong commercial relationships with senior executives in client and potential client companies to enable further sales opportunities
- Actively utilize market information to guide the technical team, inform strategy, and internal investments
- Lead marketing activities in your specific area – this includes PR, social media, and events
- Interact with teams across the diverse market and technical teams
- Understand the importance of consumer insight and the impact that has on technical solutions
- Build long term relationships with clients, and perform account management activities
You will also use your strong commercial experience to communicate what Cambridge Consultants can deliver to potential clients. Your background skills will help you to make a significant contribution to the overall direction of development projects and to have in-depth conversations with clients. You will be working across multiple new client relationships, existing projects, and marketing activities concurrently.
This position will be based in our Boston, MA office, however there will be regular domestic and international travel.
To meet the demanding requirements of this role you will be able to provide the following:
- A deep understanding and passion for the consumer healthcare marketplace, players, products and regulatory context
- Minimum 7years experience of working in Consumer, Medical or Consumer Healthcare development environments
- A strong technical background and broad understanding for different technical areas such as digital health, wearables, sensors and dispensing systems.
- Evidence of having been successful in a business development, innovation, insights, marketing or product development leadership role creating breakthrough products and bringing them to market in the Consumer Healthcare sector.
- Experience in a fee-for-service engineering business environment.
- A proven track record of delivering sales of substantial contract value, and developing senior account relationships
- A track record in developing and maintaining long term partnership relationships with key target accounts
- Experience in design and development of regulated devices and systems
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Both a technical and commercial mindset with at least a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant engineering discipline or in the physical sciences
- Ideally you will have experience of successfully working in a professional services environment.