The Financial Examiner will primarily perform financial examinations and regulatory consulting services for state insurance departments. This position has significant opportunity for advancement as well as personal and professional growth.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
(Responsibilities vary depending on seniority level)
- Perform risk focused financial examinations to determine solvency and compliance to statutes on behalf of Risk & Regulatory Consulting LLC insurance clients.
- Perform reviews of examination work papers and evaluate insurance company operations.
- Ensure the integrity of the regulatory system.
- Assist with the preparation of reports, exhibits, and other supporting schedules that detail a company's solvency, condition and compliance with laws and regulations, and recommend solutions to questionable financial conditions.
- Responsible for timely submission of draft reports for review.
- Recommend/document actions to ensure compliance with laws and regulations, or to protect solvency of the company.
- Provide knowledge and guidance of insurance laws, rules, and regulations.
- Review and analyze new, proposed, or revised laws, regulations, policies, and procedures in order to interpret their meaning and determine impact to the company.
- Analyze financial operating statements, reports, and records relating to specific and overall operations of insurance companies; prepare and supervise writing of clear, complete, concise, and informative reports of financial conditions ofinsurance companies and health care organizations.
- Consistently enhance knowledge of: principles, practices, techniques, and methods of accounting and auditing; insurance examination and regulation; insurance laws and Insurance Commissioner's rulings; and related Attorney General opinions and court decisions; insurance company practices; statistical sampling procedures; basic actuarial mathematics; principles and practice of effective supervision, insurance companies and health care organizations.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance; MBA and/or professional certification/s preferred
- Minimum 5+ years experience as an accountant, auditor or examiner with a state insurance department or a public accounting firm or as an accountant, internal or external auditor or examiner of insurance companies.
- Insurance industry experience is a must.
- Certified Financial Examiner (CFE) or CFE Candidate, CPA or CPA candidate, and/or Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) or CIA Candidate a plus
- PC skills, including experience in using software for producing presentations, spreadsheets, and project planning (skilled in TeamMate, ACL/Access, and MS Excel, Word and Power Point)
- Strong interpersonal, presentation, analytical and examination/audit skills
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks, projects and assignments using effective timemanagement skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are required
- Dynamic/flexible demeanor with exceptional client service skills
- Must be self-motivated, work well independently and possess a sense of urgency
- Skilled in team building and team development
- Work from home with flexibility to travel up to 75% (varies depending on location)
- Ability to demonstrate ethical and professional standards as outlined by the Firm