Job ID 2018-3526
Provides on-site consultation, education, and technical assistance to domestic hospitals and health care systems to assist in improving patient care, quality, and safety. Collaborates with Joint Commission Resources Central Office staff (based in Oak Brook, IL) and colleagues to generate leads, develop proposals, and pursue to close the sale of consultations and other Joint Commission Resources and/or Joint Commission International services. Maintains active/current knowledge of Joint Commission Standards/Joint Commission International Standards and survey process, as well as health care- and discipline-specific trends and content, established solutions for the improvement of patient care. Serves as Joint Commission Resources subject matter expert for specific methodologies and product lines. Creatively approaches client organizations with solutions to improve the delivery of patient care and operations.
Comprehensive knowledge of Joint Commission Standards Standards and survey process required. Ten or more years of experience in health care, with seven to ten years of progressively more responsibleexperience in senior health care management or quality/performance improvement. Maintains current and relevant knowledge of health care issues and strategies. Experience in a health care consulting role is highly desirable. Preferred candidates have performance improvement experience in settings over 250 beds and/or those with strong standards knowledge in applicable Joint Commission program. Excellent communication skills as exhibited through professional involvement in leadership roles, teaching, consulting, or relevant publications. Written and verbal communication skills necessary to effectively present information and ideas in proposals, reports, and presentations. 100% travelrequired.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides exceptional on- and off-site consultation and education to domestic/international health care organizations or other clients, emphasizing practical approaches in the application of The Joint Commission and/or Joint Commission International standards as well as technical assistance in general health care operations improvement.
- Identifies the unique needs of client organizations and tailors consulting services/engagements (type, scope, etc.) accordingly. Responsible for new and current business development (to a defined expectation) inclusive of client relationship management, lead generation, assistance in proposal development, and sale of Joint Commission Resources and/or Joint Commission International products and services. Maintains and grows client relationships through ongoing communications and a systematic process for client follow-up.
- If requested to perform as Team Leader, leads a team of consultants to deliver a client engagement that is comprehensive, achieves client expectations, and is successful at executing all contracted deliverables in a timely and quality manner. In this capacity articulates all interventions with the Managing Consultant and appropriate Client Services Manager at The Joint Commission and/or Joint Commission International Central Office and completes all necessary follow up activities for client.
- Consistently prepares well-articulated and focused written consultation reports aimed toward senior health care executives. Obtains feedback from Joint Commission Resources and/or Joint Commission International clients regarding the quality of services and deliverables and actively makes improvements therein.
- Promotes Joint Commission Resources and/or Joint Commission International products and services through public speaking engagements and representation at high profile national and/or international conferences/meetings/conventions and/or at Joint Commission Resources and/or Joint Commission International sponsored seminars and conferences as requested. As applicable, may serve as the key contact for a state hospital association related to contract deliverables and/or coordinate educational workshops. Writes and/or reviews papers/chapters/case studies/articles for publication or for Joint Commission Resource and/or Joint Commission International journals or newsletters, as requested.
- Actively participates in professional development activities, such as training, webinars, audio conferences, and other relevant education programs to stay abreast of current The Joint Commission and/or Joint Commission International policies, products, services, standards, and survey processes, as well as consultative skills as appropriate. Proactively executes on a continuous development plan through the pursuit of performance discussions, feedback, and learning opportunities for growth.
- Participates on committees, task forces, and/or teams in the design, testing, evaluation, and redesign of Joint Commission Resources and/or Joint Commission International consulting and education products and services, business processes, and various initiatives as assigned. Actively shares innovations, creative strategies and experiences with colleagues. Develops educational materials for use in revenue generating opportunities when requested.
- Demonstrates a high level of professionalism and integrity in all aspects of one’s work, inclusive of the timely and accurate submission of engagement deliverables, time tracking, expense reimbursement, sales justification, and other necessary operational details required for the consulting position. Models a spirit of quality and collaboration across Joint Commission Resources and/or Joint Commission International services and with all colleagues. Participates in the training and mentoring of consultants when requested.
Education and Experience:
- The following relevant education is required:
- Pharmacist: Doctor of Pharmacy degree (Pharm.D.) or equivalent
- related field
- Current professional licensure in related disciplines is required (when required by law) at time of hire.
- No history of disciplinary action(s) relative to current or previous professional license, provided such adverse action did not result solely from an individual’s health status.
- Ten or more years of recent experience in health care, with seven to ten years of progressively more responsibleexperience in senior healthcare management or demonstrated consulting expertise.
- Extensive knowledge of and experience in health care operations, clinical practice, use of performance improvement methods to assess organizational performance, and current research and trends relative to health care practices.
- Experience in an accredited health care organization is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Maintenance of active/current knowledge of state, federal, and or international health care- and discipline-specific trends and content, established solutions for the improvement of patient care, and all relevant Joint Commission Resources and/or Joint Commission International subject matter, methodologies, and product lines.
- Demonstrated expertise in the consulting competency framework (Professional/Technical Competence, Consulting Method/Service Provision, Consultative Approach, Management, Effective Communication, Self-Management/Ethical Practice, Business Development, and Professional Development/Continuing Competence) and the knowledge, skills, abilities represented therein.
- The written and verbal communication skills necessary to effectively deliver information and ideas in proposals, position papers, and presentations.
- Comprehensive, knowledge of and ability to operationalize CMS guidance and conditions of participation (where appropriate) and Joint Commission Resources and/or Joint Commission International policies, procedures, applications, standards, survey processes, and methodologies (e.g., Tracer, Sustainable Improvement, Performance Improvement, Robust Process Improvement, Root Cause Analyses, Failure Mode and Effects Analysis) required.
- A keen business acumen and ability to effectively influence and collaborate with stakeholders of all levels (frontline to C-Suite) within client organizations.
- Ability to continually improve oneself through professional development and other identified opportunities for growth.
- Willingness and ability to travel on a continual basis and to adapt to varying situations and cultures.
- Computer literacy in word processing, spreadsheets, database, and presentation software required. Ability to use the internet and web-based tools and resources such as Client Relationship Management and Consultant Knowledge Center required.
- Ability to lift 25 pounds, climb stairs and ladders, and work in settings in which infectious diseases are present.