The accounting consultant serves as an internal accounting and controls expert. Responsible for analyzing complex or unique accounting and controls issues, establishing accounting policy, and designing and reviewing efficient and effective processes. Advises senior management (typically up through SVP-level) on the accounting and controls impacts of potential business strategies and issues that may arise.
This role reports through the Controller group and is generally responsible for leading the Internal Control over Financial Reporting (ICFR) program, as follows:
- planning, executing, documenting, and overseeing the risk assessment process,
- leading, documenting, and reviewing process flow diagram and control walkthroughs,
- developing memos and analyses when controls breakdown in design or execution,
- leading a direct report and other staff and interns on a seasonal basis,
- documenting and instituting a detailed overarching playbook for the ICFR program and rolling it out to control owners/those involved in the program (emphasizing the importance and relevance of the concepts),
- instituting the use of a new electronic tool, for maintaining documentation and coordinating the outreach to control owners,
- collaborating to build a process to enhance the connection between GITC testing (which is performed by personnel outside of the Controller Group) and the overall ICFR program,
- enhancing other ongoing program tracking and documentation,
- maintaining responsibility for quarterly control-related readouts to executive leadership, and
- working with external auditors to answer questions and support the coordination and completion of financial statement audits.
- The role should also be willing and able to support three different teams within the Controller group, including ICFR, Technical Accounting and Accounting Consultants.
- The above statement of duties is not intended to be all inclusive, and other duties will be assigned from time to time.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance
- 5 years of related work experience in accounting
- 3 years of experience in Insurance Accounting in an industry, public accounting, or consulting role
- Experience with ERP / Financial / Accounting systems (ex. General Ledger, Insurance Annual Statement)
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex accounting concepts to customers of varying backgrounds and business acumen
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated strong organizational skills; ability to effectively manage multiple projects and priorities
- Excellent ability to self-prioritize workload, as well as manage and communicate resource conflicts
- Demonstrated ability to analyze data or processes and propose solutions
- General knowledge of finance principles
- Preferred: CMA / CIA / CFA; advanced user of MS Office (Excel); demonstrated Project Management / Process Improvement Experience
CUNA Mutual Group’s insurance, retirement and investment products provide financial security and protection to credit unions and their members worldwide. As a dynamic and growing company, we strive to create a culture of performance, high standards and defined values. In return for your skills and contributions, we offer highly competitive compensation and benefit packages, significant professional growth, and the opportunity to win and be rewarded.