Our team is experiencing exciting growth within our established practice and we have a need for a new Roadway Construction Inspector to join our team. This person will inspect construction methods and workmanship to ensure that contractors build roadways, bridges, traffic signals and related highway elements in accordance with contract plans and specifications. Performs work related to transportation engineering activities such as: review, inspect and approve traffic control systems including lane closures in accordance with Caltrans standards and the requirements. Assists Resident Engineer in all aspects of required field and office construction engineering work. Employee at this level performs work independently on assignments; however, all unusual issues are referred to the supervisor. Work locations vary within: Los Angeles and Ventura Counties, but may include San Bernardino, Riverside and Orange County.
- Observe and inspect ongoing construction roadway work on site.
- Inspect traffic control systems for compliance.
- Review plans and specifications to ensure that work is in compliance with project plans and specifications.
- Complete pay quantity sheets for actual work completed and assist with monthly pay estimates.
- Assist with preparation, analysis and review of contract change orders (CCO).
- Assist with the review of Critical Path Method (CPM) Schedule analysis.
- Assist with Water Pollution Control Program (Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan) enforcement.
- Maintain a detailed daily report of construction activities of work in progress and status of completion and discusses construction related problems with the supervisor.
- Promote and maintain safe working environment.
- Comply with company policies and procedures.
- Perform other job responsibilities as assigned.
- Minimum Bachelor of Science Degree in civil engineering (ABET university).
- At least 10 years of experience in roadway construction inspection of highways required.
- Required to have and maintain a satisfactory driving record.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds is required.
- Ability to effectively follow instructions and deal effectively with contractors and public.
- Ability to read and interpret roadway, structure, and bridge plans and specifications.
- Knowledge of construction methods including materials, equipment, testing, standard plans and specifications, associated safety requirements and industry standard practices.
- Perform calculations using algebra, trigonometry and geometry.
- Knowledge and experience with equipment used in inspection and office engineering.
- Has knowledge and experience with computers, computer applications such as: Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, and others), CPM software and other construction related software.
- Knowledge of principles of effective communication.
- Possession of a valid CA driver license.
- Knowledge and understanding of surveying methods and principles as related to roadway construction
- Able and willing to work day or night shifts and/or flexible schedules including weekends as required to support the project requirements.
- Work under exposure to inclement weather conditions.
- Knowledge of construction safety requirements.