We are looking for a highly motivated individual that enjoys working in a team environment. The Area Construction Manager (ACM) is responsible for the oversight of all construction related activities to corporate initiatives. The ACM will oversee external construction management companies and work with General Contractors, architects and engineers to keep projects on track as well as provide communication to the franchisees (owner/operators) on projects. The will also be working with Area Real Estate Managers within your general geographical area to optimize PLACE and to align goals with the corporate strategies. Optimizing PLACE is defined as enhancing customer experience, convenience, and relevance by optimizing the marketplace through the existing real estate portfolio and new site development, and maximizing system profits, regional income and return on investment. Key Customers include the restaurant customers, owner/operators, Regional Leadership, Regional Staff, and the Development Team.
In addition to following McDonald’s policies and procedures, principle accountabilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Works with Area Real Estate Managers to prioritize development opportunities to ensure best use of capital (e.g., timing, funding and returns) within the region. (e.g., design possibilities, project budget estimates)
- Helps to create, manage, and execute the development plan to meet portfolio returns and goals of the Development team.
- Ensures quality control standards for construction (e.g., cost, timing, site building design layout, specifications)
- Works with US Restaurant Design Group to ensure consistency and applies Gold Site Development Standards to optimize the site development processes (e.g., site layout, zoning, signage, building capacity)
- Monitors and controls the construction process by coordinating the efforts of others (e.g., contractors, attorneys, architectural and engineering consultants, government agencies).
- Negotiates terms and conditions of construction agreements (e.g., price, timing).
- Provides construction and design recommendations for specific elements of reinvestment plans (e.g., exterior enhancements, drive-thru enhancement, capacity, brand standards)
- Reinforces and supports the reinvestment standards to Franchise Operators throughout the reinvestment process which sometimes includes coordination and management of entire construction process (plans, bids, permits, construction, and project close-out)
- Supports the Property Manager, Asset Manager and Area Real Estate Manager in ensuring resolution of construction related property issues (e.g., common area maintenance, condemnations, excess property, easements)
- Ensures resolution of physical plant and infrastructure issues.
- Provides effective consulting and maintains effective working relationships with regional leadership, owner/operators, other McDonald departments, alliance partners and other outside organizations
- Associates degree required
- 5+ years of experience in construction project management
- 2+ years of budgeting experience
- 2+ years of vendor/consultant coordination and management experience
- 2+ years of contract administration and negotiation experience
- BA/BS degree in Construction Management, Architecture or Civil Engineering preferred
- Land use, zoning and entitlement experience preferred
- Strong written and verbal communication skills (written and verbal) and customer obsession
- Strong technical skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software, email and Internet research.
- Experience working independently and prioritize effectively in a complex and fast-paced environment
- Quantitative and analytical skills as well as attention to detail
- Experience managing external resources and contract staff
- Problem solving, ability to troubleshoot complex issues and achieve a solution
- Priority setting, decisiveness, organization and time-management skills