Microsoft Cloud Operations and Innovation (CO+I) is the team behind the cloud. CO+I is responsible for delivering over 200 Microsoft web portals, Live and Online Services around the world including infrastructure, security and compliance, operations, globalization, and manageability. Our focus is on smart growth, high efficiency, and delivering a trusted experience to customers and partners worldwide. We are looking for a passionate, high energy individual to help build the network that powers the world's largest online services.
Within CO+I, the Datacenter Construction (DCD) team is responsible for delivering datacenter capacity for Microsoft's cloud business. We have a portfolio of complex, multi-disciplinary, multi-million, multi-year datacenter construction and lease projects.
The role of the Project Manager requires strong interpersonal, communication and organizational skills, ability to self-direct, strong background in data center design, engineering, controls, and operational requirements and an emphasis on project/construction management, datacenter lease market experience, client representation and project and Project level services
The Data Center Development (DCD) Project Manager is ultimately responsible for the complete project delivery for each site location. The DC Project Manager is responsible for ensuring that each project meets the Data Center Development (DCD) Guidelines and standards, which may be adjusted from time-to-time based on best practices and Lesson Learned drawn from previous projects as well as industry changing best practice.
The DC Project Manager will coordinate with the Data Center Engineering (DCE) team and supporting specialty consultants to update and edit the Basis of Design (BOD). In managing the delivery of projects, this position aligns team objectives, business processes, vendor management strategies, and cross-group collaboration efforts with the Data Center Development Project Strategy. In doing so this will result in effective client relationship management and efficiency in cost management and project/Project delivery
The DC PM will be a relentless advocate for managing a safe worksite. Safety is one of the four pillars of MCIO's mission in delivering cloud capacity; joined by Quality, Schedule adherence, and Cost Management. The DC PM will also collaborate with Microsoft Security (OSSC), Microsoft IT (MSIT), Legal, Project Engineering, MS Business Risk Management, and other internal groups to maintain the corporate vision and goals for the Project.
In addition, this position will be responsible for coordinating and reviewing vendor performance relative to cash flow and budget summaries (with Cost Management (CM) support) and will clarify those reports in presentations to the delivery and executive chain. Other responsibilities include oversight and project controls (Project Expenditure Request (PERs), Professional Services Request (PSRs), Change Orders, Pay Applications, etc.). Additional roles include MS partner engagement, as well as participation in communications plans, and community involvement with support from Data Center Operations (DCOPs), Real Estate Services, Data Center Services, and Corporate Communications teams.
The DC Project Manager works directly for the Regional Director of Data Center Development for the region where the data center development is located and supports the strategic and tactical delivery of data center projects worldwide.
1. Create and/or maintain best practices to identify and incorporate cost-effective solutions
2. Manage the selection, contracting, and integration of multiple vendors and internal partners
3. Drive deployment of solutions that can be socialized globally across DCD projects
4. Facilitate client/sponsor decision-making to drive solutions, schedules, and manage change as required
5. Apply influence, strategies and negotiation skills to identify options and recommend solutions
1. Regularly reviews cost and KPI metrics, invoices, process/policy communications to client partners
2. Provide project single point of contact for project development and delivery
3. Coordinate meetings and activities of vendors, cost managers, and integration of lessons learned
4. Attend scheduled owner/architect/contractor (OAC) and other project meetings, and report as necessary
5. Report Project Progress on scope, schedule, and budget weekly or as required
6. Provide weekly project status reporting to DCD standards
1. Responsible for developing, managing, and reporting on scope, schedule, and budget
2. Direct fiscal responsibility for the approved project budget
3. Work independently in support of the DCD Project
Vendor Management and contract compliance:
1. Provide Vendor oversight and performance management
2. Preparation of Request for Proposal (RFP's), PER's, and other project approval tools & templates
3. Review and approval of vendor scope of work, and design review of site and building plans
4. Validate vendor pay-application and invoice review and approval
5. Manage compliance with prior audit results and recommendations
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form .
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work