Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
- Manage day to day operations for proper waste disposal
- The Operations Manager will provide field support for a variety of environmental/heavy civil construction applications:
- Landfill construction
- Excavation and heavy civil work
- Water management both in construction projects and day to day operations
- Review schedules for construction projects
- Work closely with all on-site contractors and sub-contractors
- Ensure all in-house projects are fully staffed
- Hire full-time and temporary equipment operators, laborers and associated support personnel
- Create and manage the budgets for each in-house projects, including supplies, materials and labor
- Oversee subcontractors and vendors to ensure quality standards are met
- Coordinate work efforts between various subcontractors and company workforce
- Coordinate the material and equipment requirements for in house projects a well as daily operations
- Pursue continuing education in related environmental processes
- Ensure safety guidelines are followed on all operations and construction projects
- Maintain constant communication with subcontractors, regulators, upper management, and employees
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the District, and provides daily support to managers in ensuring quality and budget performance.
- Monitors budget and operating metrics while diagnosing and improving processes, procedures, and performance.
- Executes the Market’s strategic capital budget, ensuring effective use of the budget through asset allocation; ensures appropriate spare ratios and asset disposal.
- Executes necessary precautions to ensure safety and compliance with Company, OSHA, and other standards and regulations.
- Ensures thorough root cause investigations for all injuries and incidents, following-up with consistent discipline and retraining.
- Oversees personnel needs of the department including selecting, coaching, disciplining, and training employees and evaluating employee performance. Provides input into termination, compensation, and promotion decisions.
- Formulates both short-term and long-term goals and action plans in conjunction with the Market Area General Manager and/or Director of Operations.
- Participates in regular P&L reviews to ensure that budgets are met; develops and implements programs for optimal equipment utilization, equipment maintenance, and labor and material costs.
- Interacts with local city, municipal, and county agencies to ensure customer satisfaction, improve efficiency, renew contracts and negotiate new contracts; establishes WM as a good corporate citizen and valued resource.
- Engages suppliers in problem solving and participates in suppliers’ improvement processes by providing performance feedback on supplier surveys.
- Minimizes the total number of suppliers used by working with Supplier Partners to eliminate/reduce the number of one-time suppliers.
- Works with functional groups to resolve employee relations and labor relations issues.
Qualifications & Skills
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or related field desired
- 3+ years' experience in construction and in a supervisory capacity
- Organize and allocate workforces in various areas to maintain adequate manpower balance for all scheduled/unscheduled activities
- Experience with dirt moving projects preferred
- Working knowledge of landfill liner construction practices highly desirable
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once with no decline in quality control
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of heavy equipment operation and maintenance a must
Required Licenses or Experience
- 3-5 years experience in managing construction projects
- Or 3-5 years in managing/engineering of landfill projects