The Cost Estimator assists to prepare and complete order of magnitude, conceptual, budget, preliminary engineering and detailed cost estimates for projects.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience, plus minimum 6 to 8 years related experience.
- C.E., or M.E., desirable, but not required.
- Certifications Required - P.E. not necessary but desirable. Certified Cost Engineer or Certified Construction Estimator, not necessary but desirable.
- Needed Prior Experience - estimating for DoD Fuels programs with necessary construction experience. Knowledge of mechanical and electrical systems and structures. Additional experience should include drafting, design and contract administration.
- DoD security clearance or ability to obtain one is required.
- Must be highly motivated
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong knowledge of mathematics
- Strong knowledge of construction materials and methods.
- Prepare and ensure the timely completion of all estimates assigned to by the estimating department.
- Ensure the technical accuracy of all cost estimates prepared by the estimating department.
- Maintain files of current estimates, unit price information, supplies quotations for costs of construction materials, and market conditions.
- Contact suppliers and vendors for current prices and delivery.
- Collect information from, other departments on any items pertinent to the development of complete estimates.
- Evaluate construction bids for completeness and accuracy and makes recommendations to responsible parties for the award of construction contracts.
- Review existing facilities to determine present worth and reports same to title holders.
- Serve as Value Engineering Team Estimator.
- Ensure completion of estimates within time and dollar constraints assigned.
- Provides supervision and training for other less experienced staff estimators.
- Review all available client bidding documents to become familiar with all commercial and technical requirements before preparing the estimate.
- Provide cost consultation to clients, project managers, and engineers. Prepare, or assist in the evaluation of, contractor quotations and change orders.
- Provide assistance within and outside the department on items such as value engineering, construction planning, materials selection, and construction sequencing.
- Provide training for and evaluate skills of other staff estimators.
- Determine and assign appropriate contingencies and "add-ons" for construction cost estimates.