The estimator has overall responsibility for the development of accurate, timely and detailed cost estimates on projects for bid-build and cm at risk pursuits. The estimator has extensive knowledge of construction means and methods, project schedule preparation, costs and engineering principles. The estimator will coordinate diverse subcontractor pricing be able to scope and level all subcontractor pricing to complete a comprehensive bid proposal. The Estimator will estimate the cost of self-perform work and project indirect costs, review cost estimates prepared by team members, while managing company?s risk. The estimator will be a self-starter and work efficiently with minimal oversight, must be able to meet critical deadlines and have the ability to lead and work as part of a greater team.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- Prepare complete scope cost estimates based on proposal documentation on a variety of bid build and design build projects for various public and private client
- Review, interpret and analyze project documentation: drawings, specifications, data, commercial terms, proposals, etc.
- Manage the development of the initial project execution, logistics plans and schedule
- Solicit input from field operations to include in final project estimate
- Formulate all project indirect costs: staffing, project schedules, on-site facilities, support costs with schedule development
- Follow company?s estimating process/procedure compliance and consistency
- Analyze alternative solutions, and construction methods to increase competitiveness
- Review quantities and cost estimates prepared by team members to ensure accuracy and completeness
- Analyze and evaluate bidding risks and strategies; present estimate and participate in bid reviews with senior management
- Develop relationships with subcontractors and suppliers by creating strategic alliances to ensure competitiveness.
- Oversee the review, analysis and selection of all subcontractor and vendor proposal solicitations and quotation selection
- Participate in successful project development of a procurement plan and secure all major material purchases and subcontractor agreements
- Perform research for means and methods, materials, costs and construction techniques and services to increase competitiveness
- Perform site visits on pursuits and ongoing projects, attend industry trade and outreach events
Job Skills and Abilities
- Strong computer skills including proficiency with iSqFt estimating software preferred, MS Office products [Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint], online plan rooms, SharePoint and working knowledge of takeoff software, Primavera, AutoCAD.
- Ability to read and interpret drawings, specifications, project date and commercial terms
- Effective written and verbal communication, and presentation skills
- Good attention to detail and the ability to recognize discrepancies
- Strong math and problem-solving skills
- Ability to meet critical deadlines
Education, Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor?s Degree? Civil Engineering, Construction Management or similar technical training/experience
- Minimum of 5years estimating experiencerequired, 10years preferred