The position of Construction Engineering Manager (CEM) is within the GEMTE Field Execution Organization and works with the Manager of Construction - Americas. This is an individual contributor role for an authority experienced in developing construction engineering strategies for large, industrial capital projects. This is a technical ladder position. The candidate will collaborate with a senior CEM developing proposals for mega projects (~$1B) and, pending successful performance, will transition to a senior, lead role.
We will provide leadership of construction engineering during the proposal phase to build successful construction strategies that deliver safety, quality, schedule, and cost results. You will have extensive industrial construction experience in oil, gas, power, chemical, or similar process industries. Experience in the complete project cycle through proposal development, design, and construction is vital. The candidate must be able to draw upon significant field construction experience in order to develop successful construction execution strategies with a focus on constructability. The ideal candidate should be familiar Sophisticated Work Package techniques.
The CEM (proposal development) may be required to assist junior engineers and construction staff with technical construction knowledge in areas of construction including, but not limited to, construction safety, labor relations, organizational change, mobile cranes, scheduling, modularization, ASME piping, steel assembly, piling, and foundations. Applicants are encouraged to highlight areas of technical construction expertise.
This position will primarily be involved in proposal development and serve as a construction authority. Occasional travel to customers, engineering firms, contractors, or construction field locations will be required from time to time; applicants can anticipate minimal travel of < 10%.
Specific Job Functions of this position are:
- Ability to develop a construction strategy a within proposal development team
- Passion for driving safety and crafting in safe construction methods.
- Dedication to ensuring constructability and developing strategies that achieve quality, schedule, and cost objectives.
- Coordinate and review the project scope and incorporate measures needed for a safe project execution. This includes industry benchmarking, design changes, dedicated site safety supervision, incentive schemes, field representative, data collection and analysis, and contractor training.
- Advance the Incorporation of constructability into the engineering and design execution strategies (including package breaks, modularization options, construction work packaging, etc.). Ensure Field Change Order metrics are feedback to engineering, design, contractors, and suppliers.
- Collaborate closely with procurement team: help define contract strategy (e.g., fixed price, bill of quantity, reimbursable, cost plus fixed fee, etc.), support development of labor strategy (open shop vs. union), assist in defining who should be included on the contractor's bid list.
- Work closely with project execution team to develop the site staffing (bringing field representative in the office to help in developing the project, timing for when field representatives will go to the field, selection of the accurate field representative for the job, etc.)
The position requires at a minimum:
- Minimum of 15 years (total) of direct construction engineering experience in both engineering/design and field exaction.
- An engineering or construction university degree is helpful
- Validated leadership and interpersonal skills
- Proven Record of success in safety, environmental, quality and employee involvement
- Proven Strong dedication to employee involvement, leadership, team building and diversity
- Ability to travel to sites, visit contractors, and 24/7 availability for emergency response
- Expertise in mobile crane and lift plan reviews is required
- Experience with Hexagon (Intergraph) systems is a bonus
- Experience with well drilling is a plus