Department:NYPC-White PlainsLocation:White Plains, NY
START YOUR APPLICATION
VHB is looking for an experienced Construction Engineer to join our expanding Energy practice in the Northeast. The successful candidate will work on power generation and distribution station projects in the energy/utility market. Projects will be located throughout New York State.
VHB’s passionate professionals include engineers, scientists, planners, and designers who partner with public and private clients in the transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as federal, state, and local governments.
Together, we work to improve mobility, enhance communities and economic vitality, and balance development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship.
- Review all project descriptions to gain an understanding of the project scope, objective, schedule, goals and deliverables
- Perform design reviews and constructability reviews as required by client, Project Manager, and Project Engineer
- Monitor construction activities to ensure design, specifications, and contracts are followed and that work is done according to schedule and within budget
- Be present at the work area at all times and monitor “critical activities” when being performed (Critical activities include but are not limited to; excavation, lifts, core drilling, system activation and switching, system testing and commissioning)
- Coordinate the activities of others by creating project schedules and job scopes
- Provide inspection of all work in place; review and approve construction check off lists to ensure that work performed is in accordance with the contract specifications and applicable codes
- Prepare daily construction reports documenting progress. Recommend corrective courses of action to Construction Manager and/or Project Manager/Engineer when progress is not in accordance with plan
- Conduct construction meetings and prepare/distribute meeting minutes
- Manage and monitor the contractor’s work force to achieve optimum productivity
- Review and comment on bid packages to ensure design adequacy and constructability
- Review new contract specifications and drawings to ensure that designed work is constructible
- Review and make recommendations to NYPA’s Resident Construction Manager and/or Project Manager/Engineer on all payment items, including partial payments (contractor invoices), change orders and claim issues
- Provide assistance during the Client/Contractor estimate negotiation process
- Implement and comply with Configuration Management Policy and Construction Inspection/ Monitoring Program (CI/MP) on all assigned projects. Modify the CI/MP inspection forms accordingly for each project as deemed necessary
- Assist Authority site personnel with preparation of all construction project close-out and file turnover at the completion of each project
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Team oriented with strong capability to work independently
- Top-notch organizational skills
- Ability to travel to project sites and reside in the project area as required to support the project requirements
- BS in Civil or Electrical Engineering
- 10+ years of engineering experience and a minimum of 7 years of project and construction experience
- New York State PE License preferred
- Project Management Professional certification or equivalent is preferred
- Inspection experience associated with Civil, Mechanical, Electrical and Communications especially in the area of Substation Maintenance and Upgrades, Transmission Upgrades and Instrumentation & Control projects
- Proficient in MS Office, MS Project, Primavera (optional), and SAP
- Additional training and/or certifications in technical or management skills would be a plus
- Proof of OSHA 30-Hour safety course within the last 3 years
- Valid Driver’s License and good driving record
Please submit applications online.
At VHB, we’re invested in what we do, compelled by intellectual curiosity, and driven to work collectively to best serve our clients and help shape the future of our communities in a meaningful way. We’re proud, yet humbled, to have been doing this for 38 years. We are dedicated to making a positive impact, and providing opportunities to grow personally and professionally.