In conjunction with Stanford’s School of Engineering, SLAC is forming a computer science research group to help address these next-generation computing challenges. SLAC is seeking scientists to formulate and carry out world-class computer science research in areas of relevance to SLAC, including but not limited to systems software for exascale computing (data management, programming models, operating and runtime systems, distributed systems, system architecture and storage) and data analytics (algorithms and tools for machine learning and very large scale data analysis). The Scientist will work as part of an interdisciplinary team of researchers and faculty, specifically collaborating with members of the computer science research group, other SLAC scientists and faculty and students in Stanford’s Computer Science Department as well as other departments in the School of Engineering.
Note: The Staff and Senior Staff Scientist levels are regular-continuing positions at SLAC. Applicants will be evaluated on research experience and accomplishments in field of expertise. Appointment at the Senior Staff Scientist level requires an achieved recognition of leadership nationally and/or internationally as a result of original developments in field of expertise.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science or a closely related discipline.
- Demonstrated research ability.
- Demonstrated effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work and communicate effectively with a diverse population.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Effective Decisions: Uses job knowledge and solid judgment to make quality decisions in a timely manner.
- Self-Development: Pursues a variety of venues and opportunities to continue learning and developing.
- Dependability: Can be counted on to deliver results with a sense of personal responsibility for expected outcomes.
- Initiative: Pursues work and interactions proactively with optimism, positive energy, and motivation to move things forward.
- Adaptability: Flexes as needed when change occurs, maintains an open outlook while adjusting and accommodating changes.
- Communication: Ensures effective information flow to various audiences and creates and delivers clear, appropriate written, spoken, presented messages.
- Relationships: Builds relationships to foster trust, collaboration, and a positive climate to achieve common goals.
Physical and Working Requirements*:
- Perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequent movement as needed and the ability to meet with, communicate and speak with colleagues.
- Light lifting and the ability to move and organize as needed.
- Occasional work during evening hours and weekends.
* Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will pro.
Job Requisition #: 2157