$80K — $100K *
Raytheon Technology is looking for Computer Information Technologists to join our Advanced Weather Interactive Processing System (AWIPS) team in Silver Spring, Maryland.
Advanced Weather Interactive Processing System (AWIPS) provides cutting-edge technology to the National Weather Service. AWIPS is the cornerstone of a multi-year modernization program allowing revolutionary improvements to the National Weather Service (NWS) products and services. It is a high-visibility program of great importance to the United States government and to the Nation. AWIPS is a technological wonder that consists of a nationwide network of approximately 160 sophisticated data collection and processing National Weather Service sites. The AWIPS sites are linked with a state-of-the-art communications system so that the meteorologist and hydrologists are prepared to provide the most accurate forecasts in the quickest time possible.
Here at Raytheon Technologies we are committed to fostering mentorship and career development for our team members. Join a team that puts your development and growth first. You will work with professionals around the country who thrive in a culture that celebrates the contributions of its employees. You will continue your career in a challenging and collaborative organization, joining a team with a tradition of achievement through thought and teamwork.
As a Computer Information Technologists, you will support the monitor and control functions of the NWS Network Control Facility (NCF). The NCF is a 24x7x365 facility providing Help Desk Type Support and Network Operations support to the Weather Forecast Offices, NWS National Centers, and River Forecast Centers. Support includes correcting site processes and interface system issues, wide area network (WAN), security patching, software/hardware installation support, and satellite broadcast problems. The person must be able to independently detect and troubleshoot failures, interact with forecast office personnel and third party vendors for site support, and accurately document all actions taken and provide customer feedback.
• Creating, reviewing and updating any applicable Standard Operating Procedures.
• Identifies and analyzes problems, plans, tasks, and solutions.
• Provide Frontline technical support on AWIPS software issues.
• Provides technical oversight and support for on program monthly security patching and associated Service Level Agreements.
• Provide technical troubleshooting with end to end ownership delivering root cause analysis and workarounds to lower-level subordinates.
• Recognize and escalate recurring problems, inferior processes or outdated procedures and contribute test cases, ticket, and known approved workarounds to the Remedy Knowledge Management System (KMS)
• Maintain daily contact with customers and vendors including peer to peer and upward technical escalation levels such as support and development groups.
• Accept additional projects or areas of responsibility that will improve the team’s performance.
• Occasional travel to the Backup NCF in Fairmont WV may be required to support Contingency Planning and/or testing.
Experience, Knowledge, and/or Skills Requirements:
• BS degree in Meteorology, Engineering, Science, or Mathematics with with over 6 progressive years of direct UNIX, and/or LINUX experience.
• Thorough technical experience with the ability to understand and troubleshoot complex technical concepts.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Be able to provide on-call support
• Candidate must possess time management and great documentation skills
Required Education (including Major):
• BS degree in Meteorology, Engineering, Science, or Mathematics or related STEM degree
This position requires either a U.S. Person or a Non-U.S. Person who is eligible to obtain any required Export Authorization.174444
Raytheon Technologies is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Valid through: 4/9/2021
$150K — $200K
5 days ago
$150K — $200K
8 days ago
$80K — $100K
5 days ago