This position has primary responsibility for providing statistical and analytical bioinformatics expertise and interpretation to the scientific research programs at Aduro Biotech.
- Analyze large-scale datasets such as raw microarray data (miRNA and mRNA), genomic and RNA sequence data, cytometry and proteomics data for clinical or basic research purposes.
- Perform integrative analyses of different data types including genomic, molecular, cellular, proteomics and clinical.
- Consult with researchers to analyze problems, recommend technology-based solutions, or determine computational strategies.
- Manipulate publicly accessible, commercial, or proprietary genomic, proteomic, or post-genomic databases.
- Compile data for use in activities such as gene expression profiling and cell-type gene expression deconvolution bioinformatics.
- Create novel computational approaches and analytical tools as required by research goals.
- Create or modify web-based bioinformatics tools.
- Design and applybioinformatics algorithms including unsupervised and supervised machine learning, dynamic programming, or graphic algorithms.
- Develop data models and databases.
- Develop or evaluate new software applications or customize existing applications to meet specific scientific project needs.
- Improve user interfaces to bioinformatics software and databases.
- Instruct others in the selection and use of bioinformatics tools.
- Provide statistical and computational tools for biologically based activities such as genetic analysis, measurement of gene expression, and gene function determination.
- Keep abreast of new algorithms, technologies or softwares by reading scientific literature and attending professional conferences.
- Communicate research results through conference presentations, scientific publications, or project reports.
- PhD degree in Statistics, Biostatistics, Computer Science or Bioinformatics, and 5 years relevant experience.
- Experience in next-generation sequencing (NGS) data analysis, microarray data analysis (miRNA and mRNA), experimental design, data integration, algorithm development, development of sequence analysis tools (bioinformatics programming), evaluation of analytical tools and technology.
- Experience in statistical packages (e.g. R/SAS) and other commonly used visualization and pathway analysis software packages such as DAVID, CytoSCAPE and Ingenuity Pathway Analysis (IPA) analytics.
- Experience in developing computational algorithms and systems to support clinical research including proteomics, transcriptomics, metabolomics, and clinical bioinformatics and analyses.
- Demonstrate the ability to interrogate large data sets and address biological hypotheses.
- Strong programming and software engineering skills are required for this position including competence in Python, R and database query language (ie MySQL) .
- Bioinformatics expertise in biomedical research such as cancer biology, stem cell biology and immunology would be highly desirable.
- A proven track record of “omics” data analysis, independent collaborative work and leading contributions to a biological discipline is preferred.
- Enthusiasm for working in a dynamic high performance research team environment.
- Creative contributor eager to learn new technologies and science.
- Excellent communication skills including skills necessary to present at the conferences and workshops, write study designs, analytical methods and analysis results.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with both computational and bench scientists are essential for success in this collaborative role