This Compressor Engineering Manager will lead a technical team of engineers responsible for lifecycle management of new and existing screw compressor platforms. Including VA/VE, Q&R and RTS for existing platforms as well as new technology development (NTP) and New Product Development (NPD) of new platforms.
Core Job Responsibilities (others may be added):
- Improve and maintain current compressor families through VAVE, Quality, Reliability improvements and product line extensions.
- Provide compressor RTS support to operations, technical service, quality and other functions as needed.
- Execution of new technology programs (NTP) and new compressor design (NPD) projects to support strategic roadmaps and user requests.
- Contributes to developing compressor strategic roadmaps to meet product growth team objectives.
- Responsible for the mechanical design and specification of all compressor components.
- Responsible for the specification of other components including electrical, lubricants, etc.
- Coordinates with Positive Displacement Compressor or Aero group for design of compression mechanism, porting, unloading and other flow path related areas.
- Responsible for creation of engineering documentation: DFMEA, DVP&R, application guidelines, lab test results, and specifications. Checks and validates all drawings, 3D models and EBOM reflect design intent.
- Maintains ownership of engineering documentation, EBOM, drawings and 3D models for the life of product.
- Supervisory responsibilities of hiring, employee development, succession planning, goal setting, performance reviews and salary administration.
- Monitors, prioritize, and manages department resources, budgets, spending and IRPPM data.
- Develop, coach and train staff to build and maintain subject matter expertise required for compressor design such as project management, casting design, stress and deflection analysis, oil & lubrication systems, bearing applications, seals designs, rotordynamics, sealing technology, specification of motors + magnetic bearings and code compliance (UL, ASME, etc..)
- Maintain an annual competency and skills maturity list that feeds into a development path for all employees to ensure future competencies and tools developed ahead of need.
- Enable and grow technical and project management competency in ETC to expand design capacity and capability.
- Work with other compressor group leaders to advance development of people, technology and standard work between compressor groups.
- Builds future capability by creating and maintaining compressor engineering standard work / design processes and technical reports (Tech Notes + engineering summaries).
- Maintains awareness of competitive products and technology by monitoring new technology through patent publications, supplier relationships, industry publications, participation in technical societies, academic research projects, and conferences.
- Periodically benchmarks Trane equipment and design processes vs other industry competitors.
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering (or related technical discipline) and at least 10 years of project leadership and/or HVAC experience in a product design or manufacturing environment is required.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with others across the organization and influence leaders.
- Six Sigma Green or Black Belt certification is preferred.
- Must be an effective team player with ability to work with cross-functional or global groups.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- Experience using project management software such as Microsoft Project is desired.
- Design and analytical skills, with practical "hands-on" product development experience is a plus.
We are committed to helping you reach your professional, personal and financial goals. We offer competitive compensation that aligns with our business strategies and comprehensive benefits to help you live your healthiest. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse culture that engages as well as values the different backgrounds and experiences of our employee, which, in turn, spurs innovation, generates creative solutions and enhances our customer relations.