The Boeing Research & Technology (BR&T) Program is seeking an experienced Composite Materials Engineer (Level 5) to join the Materials & Manufacturing Technology Composite Lab team in Huntsville, AL.
Boeing Research and Technology (BR&T) is the preferred provider of technologies and innovation across the Boeing enterprise and works across the product lifecycle of Boeing's commercial aircraft, military aircraft, rotorcraft, space vehicles. The composites organization is responsible for screening, developing, and supporting composite materials and fabrication methods from conception through qualification for production. This position will lead cutting edge composites research & development to explore new polymer materials & processes for production needs. The engineer will submit proposals for internal and external funding to accomplish this research.
Your duties as a senior engineer will include (but are not limited to):
- Identify, pursue, and manage Contracted Research and Development (CRAD) opportunities to advance composite technology using the team’s capabilities
- Identify the need and develop technologyrequired to pursue composites research in alignment with a division strategy
- Coordinate with customers on part requirements and then develop test plans to demonstrate material and process capability to meet and exceed those requirements
- Where requirements aren’t met, this position will work within an Integrated Technology Team, as well as the best in the industry, to develop & implement solutions in a production relevant environment
- Document project plans and results
- Lead projects through Technology Readiness Level (TRL) / Manufacturing Readiness Level (MRL) 6 and provide support as projects successfully transition through TRL/MRL 10
Engineering Test and Tech
Relocation Assistance Available
No. Relocation assistance is not a negotiable benefit.
Basic Qualifications (Required):
- Experience with Composite Materials and Process Specifications and Test Methods
- Experience working with composite materials in a manufacturing capacity
- Experience leading teams or projects
- Experience with the following: Autoclave, Hand Layup, Machine Layup, Pre-Cure Process, Post-Cure Process
- Experience in thermoplastic materials and processing
- Aerospace program experience
- Experience in managing and executing internal technology research and development, commercial or military program support, and/or contracted technology research and development (CRAD) projects
This position requires the ability to obtain a U.S. Security Clearance for which the U.S. Government requires U.S. Citizenship.
This position is located in Huntsville, AL and does not offer relocation assistance. Applicants must reside in area or be willing to relocate at their own expense.
Typical Education / Experience:
Degree and typical experience in engineering classification: Bachelor's 14 or more years' experience, Master's with 12 or more years' experience or PhD with 9 or more years' experience. Bachelor, Master or Doctorate of Science degree from an accredited course of study, in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry. ABET is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
Boeing is the world's largest aerospace company and leading manufacturer of commercial airplanes and defense, space and security systems. We are engineers and technicians. Skilled scientists and thinkers. Bold innovators and dreamers. Join us, and you can build something better for yourself, for our customers and for the world.
Job ID 1700014505