Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, a related specialized area or field is required (or equivalent experience) plus a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience; or Master's degree plus a minimum of 6 years of relevant experience
Responsibilities for this Position
General Dynamics Mission Systems has an immediate opening for a Component Engineer (PWB Specialty). This position provides an opportunity to further advance the cutting-edge technology that supports some of our nation's core defense/intelligence services and systems. General Dynamics Mission Systems employees work closely with esteemed customers to develop solutions that allow them to carry out high-stakes national security missions.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES AND TASKS:
Experienced Engineer with a working knowledge of PWB design, fabrication processes inspection. The candidate will perform inspection and auditing/surveillance services to monitor manufacturing and quality processes at our various contract manufacturers and electronic manufacturing services providers and to approve manufactured items completed and presented for General Dynamics for buyoff, including printed wiring assemblies (PWAs) and end unit box builds. Involves working closely with project eCAD design teams to review PWB drawings/files with the expectation to provide technical feedback and design guideline rules and working closely with Supply Chain Buyers, QA and Suppliers to manage suppliers from a technical perspective and to ensure compliance of PWBs to flowdown requirements through supplier visits, audits and technical interchanges. Job requires travel to suppliers and possibly customer facilities. Candidate will need strong communications skills as well as technical experience and knowledge.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• As a Commodity Engineer you will use your formal IPC-A-600 training and experience to inspect PWBs and general workmanship to the requirements of IPC-A-600. You will also review AS9102 First Article Reports prepared by the Contract Manufacturer.
• As you take direction from General Dynamic's quality assurance department, you will interface with designated points of contact at 3rd party contract manufacturers and suppliers. Utilizing your expertise, you will compare the products with released engineering drawings, purchase orders and other contractual requirements as specified by operations.
• You will check for quality workmanship according to published manufacturing standards. We will rely on you to suggest ways in which the quality of products could be improved and provide written reports of Source Inspection results to management.
• Conduct quality audits and surveys to recommend approval of new General Dynamics suppliers and contract manufacturers.
• Initiate and address corrective and preventive actions when non-conformances are noted in General Dynamics products or the processes used to produce General Dynamics products
• Analyzes engineering-design concepts of product to recommend part-level quality and test methods for attaining customer-specified system-level operational requirements, using knowledge of component construction and manufacturing/test processes
• Reviews New Part Requests and creates/validates part information using product lifecycle tools such as PDM Link
• Advises and confers with engineers in design review meetings to give part selection, analysis and test recommendations
• Participates in supplier quality and capability audits and works closely with suppliers to identify and resolve technical issues that adversely impact quality and reliability of supplier products
• Supports part-level failure analysis and root cause analysis and working with suppliers/projects to identify corrective action and recovery plans
• Participates in the development of Parts Procurement Drawings
• Participates in supplier discussions to determine conformance test plans
• Participates in a Failure Review Board (FRB) as a team member and technical expert on part construction and failure modes
• Participates in parts stress analysis/worst case analysis efforts
• Supports Incoming Inspection by performing data reviews for high reliability parts to in accordance with Part Control and Quality Management Plans
• Participates in root cause analysis investigation as a team member
• Applies physics of failure technique for root cause investigations
• Reviews GIDEP documentation and provides recommendations to programs
• Provides Supply Chain Management organization technical guidance to ensure that parts being procured match supplier capability and ensures that supplier quoted costs are reasonable based on technology, customization and required screening/testing
• Works closely with Project Leaders, Electrical/Mechanical Engineers and with other professionals within the project teams
• Occasional contact with business development functions including proposal estimating support
• Travel may be required
PREFERRED DEGREE TYPES AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, a related specialized area or field is required (or equivalent experience) plus a minimum of 8years of relevant experience; or Master's degree plus a minimum of 6 years of relevant experience.