Compliance Counsel is responsible for management of the company's compliance programs, including matters related to ethics, anti-corruption, and regulatory compliance. This role ensures that the company and its constituents exercise internal controls, due diligence, and best practices to operate with integrity and minimize risk. Compliance Counsel must identify and understand legal and compliance issues, translating them into easily understood and practical legal advice and counsel to relevant client groups. Responsibilities include conducting legal research, identifying and tracking compliance issues, managing regulatory enforcement matters, providing legal advice on routine issues impacting the business, developing and implementing policies and training materials, day-to-day management of the company's internal ethics reporting hotlines, and conducting internal investigations.
- Monitors and evaluates the impact of legal developments, including proposed legislation, court decisions, enforcement actions, and other regulatory activity relevant to the company's operations.
- Provides day-to-day counsel to internal stakeholders on matters related to the company's ethics and compliance program.
- Develops, updates, implements, and monitors internal policies and training programs on matters related to ethics, anti-corruption, and regulatory compliance.
- Prepares and delivers training, memoranda, and presentations to employees, management, and executives on routine legal and compliance matters.
- Collaborates with other members of the company's Legal Department to manage and minimize risk associated with compliance-related matter.
- Monitors the company's ethics reporting hotlines and manages appropriate and timely response.
- Conducts internal investigations of ethics and compliance matters.
- Manages regulatory enforcement actions and allegations of violation, including investigation, remediation, interaction and negotiation with regulatory authorities, and monitoring of ongoing compliance.
- Recommends and provides legal advice and support to the company's client constituents in developing routine policy and procedural improvements, consulting the business on issues related to compliance matters, and providing practical advice in response to rapidly changing conditions.
- Coordinates with outside legal counsel to manage legal and compliance risk.
- Works with key strategic external relationships through involvement in industry, community, or civic groups to bring added value to the company
- Conducts legal research, applies research to facts, and is able to communicate relevant analysis in easily understood work product to company leadership.
- Identifies legal risks and designs mitigation plans.
REQUIRED EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
- Master's Degree Law and/or Juris Doctor degree
- 5+ years' relevant experience in a top tier law firm or mixture of relevant experience in top-tier law firm, corporate legal department setting, and/or government agency
- Active state bar member in good standing of at least one U.S. jurisdiction
- 1+ years' direct experience with public company legal issues, processes and procedures
- 3+ years' demonstrated proficiency in one legal functional area
PREFERRED EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
- Career track of progressive, documented accomplishments with broad diversity of experiences
- Knowledge and exposure to legal issues encountered by a multi-national retailer
- Financial literacy, including basic understanding of project finance, accounting, and tax issues