Complex Director of Finance
5 - 7 years experience • Leisure and Travel
The Director of Finance functions as a multiple properties’ strategic financial business leader. As a member of the Leadership Team, the position champions, develops and implements multi-properties and company-wide strategies that deliver products and services to meet or exceed the needs and expectations of theproperty and its associates. The Complex Director of Finance interfaces with the Association(s) Board of Directors, and establishes a relationship as a business partner. The Complex Director of Finance is responsible for monitoring the financial performance, ancillary business performance, Board Relations and Board Governance issues. The position provides the financial expertise to enable the successful implementation of the property’s service strategy and initiatives, while working within the budget guidelines. In addition, creates and executes a budget and business plan that is aligned with the Association and VSE’s business strategy and focuses on the execution of financial and accounting activities and the delivery of desirable financial results. Safeguard assets by creating and maintaining sound internal control systems. Hire the most professional, service-oriented, dedicated highly skilled, trained staff available.
• Ensuring P&L Accuracy - Ensuring Profits and Losses are documented accurately. Produces accurate forecasts that enable operations to react to changes in thebusiness.
• Improving Profit - Developing means to improve profit, for the Commercial Unit including estimating cost and benefit, exploring new business opportunities, etc.
• Creating Annual Budget - Analyzing information, forecasting revenues against expenses and creating annual budget plans. Provides analytical support during budget reviews to identify cost saving and productivity opportunities for property managers.
Ensuring that All Taxes are Current, Collected and/or Accrued - Monitoring all taxes that apply, ensuring that taxes are current, collected and/or accrued.
• Meeting and Communicating with Boards/Owners - Attending board and annual members meetings and communicating with the owners, understanding thepriorities and strategic focus.
• Ensuring Report Delivery Deadlines - Submitting reports in a timely manner, ensuring delivery deadlines.
• Demonstrating Leadership - Utilizing interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
• Advising the GM and executive committee on existing and evolving operating/financial issues.
• Enforcing Financial Controls and Compliance - Ensure compliance with Vistana policies and procedures and all applicable laws including Quarterly Controller’s Checklist (QCC) and Control Self Assessment (CSA). Implements a system of appropriate controls to manage business risks. Ensures a strong operational control environment to safeguard assets, improve operations and profitability.
• Communicating an Understanding of Owner Priorities - Communicating the strategic goals, the focus and the owner priorities to subordinates in a clear and precise manner. Communicates financial concepts in a clear and persuasive manner that is easy to understand and drives desired behaviors.
Comparing Budgeted Wages to Actual Wages - Analyzing differences between actual budget wages and forecasted wages for more efficient budget planning.
• Achieving/Exceeding Goals - Achieving and exceeding goals including performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
• Analyzing Data or Information - Identifying the underlying principles, reasons, or facts of information by breaking down information or data into separate parts.
• Developing and Executing Business Plans - Thinking creatively and practically to develop, execute and implement new business plans which is aligned with thecompany’s and brand’s strategic direction.
• Ensuring Adequate Cash Flow - Demonstrates an understanding of cash flow and board priorities. Manages property working capital and cash flow in accordance with brand SOPs and association requirements.
• Generating and Delivering Accurate and Timely Results - Generating and providing accurate and timely results in the form of reports, presentations, etc.
• Meeting the Needs of Key Stakeholders - Understanding and meeting the needs of key stakeholders (owners, corporate, etc.).
4-year bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting or related major; Master’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or related area preferred. ExperienceFour to six years related experience, including at least three to four years of accounting/finance supervisory experience. The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities:
• Must be able to speak, read, write and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace.
• Must be able to read and write to facilitate the communication process.
• Requires good communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Most tasks are performed in a team environment with the employee acting as a team leader. There is minimal direct supervision.
• Must be able to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or governmental regulations.
• Must be able to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
• Must be able to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups to managers, clients, customers, and ownership.
• Must be able to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
• Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, SAP, and other applicable computer systems. Budgetary analysis capabilities required.
• Must be able to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
• Working knowledge of federal, state and local laws governing equal employment opportunity and civil rights, occupational safety and health, wage and hour issues, and labor relations, including, but not limited to the following statutes and their comparable state and local laws (where applicable): Title VII, ADEA, Equal Pay Act, Pregnancy Discrimination Act, FLSA, ADA, OSHA, FMLA, and NLRA.