Hi, I am Kelley and I am a Marketing Manager with Abbott Diagnostics’ Global Marketing team. Our direct team is passionate about working together to provide our commercial sales teams with the positioning and tools they need to WIN new customers and secure their base. You might be thinking…How? Just like intelligence agencies around the world we:
- Investigate, analyze and synthesize (competitive activities, launches, on-market products, campaigns, positioning)
- interview and network (subject matter experts, sales executives, customers and specialists)
- build our case (competitive de-positioning tools, intelligence briefings to senior leaders, high impact communications, inform pipeline strategies)
We interact with many fabulous professionals around the world across a variety of roles like Marketing, Commercial Sales, Senior Leaders, R&D, Operations, Finance, etc. so effectively building a network of cross functional partners is a must in the “Intelligence Business!” We are looking for leaders with industry experience and the ability to synthesize information, identify implications and uncover insights. If you are self-motivated, a team player, see beyond the product to the big picture and have a passion for making a difference, this position is for you.
Primary Job Function
The competitive intelligence manager is responsible for delivering insightful, actionable and timely competitive intelligence to drive profitable growth and enhance corporate business strategies.
This individual will 1) develop a deep understanding of the competition and closely monitor all competitive activities. 2) Identify competitive insights and establish recommendations for business and commercial strategies. 3) Lead the global competitive intelligence process.
Abbott is a global healthcare company devoted to improving life through the development of products and technologies that span the breadth of healthcare. With a portfolio of leading, science-based offerings in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic pharmaceuticals, Abbott serves people in more than 150 countries and employs approximately 94,000 people.
Core Job Responsibilities
- Establish, drive and lead a highly effective global competitive intelligence process to include capturing, assessing and disseminating competitive intelligence/insights
- Develop a broad network of external sources and internal subject matter experts to capture, synthesize and interpret competitive information
- Anticipate and closely monitor competitive strategies, pipeline and actions
- Develop and disseminate insightful, actionable and timely competitive information and commercial best practices
- Prepare in depth analysis of competitors’ strategies, strengths/weaknesses, tactics, trends, investments, pipeline and future activities
- Assess the impact of competitive activities and market dynamics on Abbott Diagnostics’ strategies and develop business and commercial recommendations to address challenges and drive growth
- Develop high impact sales tools and training by leveraging competitive intelligence, insights, knowledge and subject matter experts
- Comply with ethical standards in obtaining and disseminating data
- Bachelor’s degree in the field of Business, Finance or Marketing
- Advanced credentials such as a MBA or master’s degree in marketing or other relevant fields
- Experience in both US and international healthcare diagnostics marketing experience.
- Professional marketing certification or designation
- 10+ years of experience in related industry, with 3-5 years progressive experience in health care professional industry including providers and payors, preferably in both government-funded and privately-funded markets
- Demonstrated success in partnering with commercial, Finance, Planning, R&D, Supply-Chain and/or related disciplines with an understanding of competitive industry dynamics
- Work experience in competitive intelligence is desirable
- Excellent business acumen to assess and identify implications of competitive business activities across business functions and geographies
- Strong financial acumen to analyze, interpret and identify insights from financial and analyst reports
- Experience analyzing and synthesizing qualitative and quantitative information, identifying implications and observing patterns, making correct inferences, drawing conclusions, explaining facts, data, or information to evaluate competitors' products/services, strategic direction, and core competencies utilizing a wide variety of resources
- Requires strong analytical and strategic planning skills, and relevant industry understanding needed to collect and analyze large amounts of secondary and primary marketplace information pertaining to a diverse mix of technical, industry/market and competitive issues
- Advanced ability to think strategically and identify insights in a complex global marketplace
- Ability to identify intelligence needs of cross functional organization and personal observation of emerging trends and issues that have the potential to significantly impact the business
- Excellent abilities in research, interviewing and presentation skills, analysis and writing. Excellent interpersonal and communications skills and ability to develop well-structured presentations.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (verbal, written and presentation) across a wide range of audiences with ability to simplify complex concepts
- Demonstrated ability to effectively collaborate, build effective network of cross-functional partners and influence at all levels of the organization and across cultures
- Strong commercial orientation and understanding of commercial needs with commercial experience desirable
- Proven ability and desire to operate and deliver within a fast-paced results-driven matrix organization
- Familiarity with information management software and systems is helpful; computer literacy is essential. Microsoft Office suite skills critical
- Proven sensitivity towards confidentiality, and understanding of all requirements and corporate policies and guidelines that impact legal and ethical conduct and competitive intelligence practices