Compensation & Benefits Operations Manager
5 - 7 years experience •
The Compensation and Benefits Operations Manager will be responsible for managing the day to day operations of the employee compensation and benefit programs and leading the team of department analysts and administrative specialists. The incumbent will ensure compensation and benefit programs are legally compliant, supports the achievement of company goals and objectives and operate in accordance with San Manuel organizations' policies, practices, and procedures.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
FOR BENEFITS FUNCTION
- Manages the health and welfare, retirement and wellness plans to ensure the plans operate in compliance with federal and state laws that govern them and in accordance with the plan documents and vendor Service Agreements. Manage business relationships with retirement and health and welfare plan carriers, service providers and consultants.
- Maintains an "expert" level understanding of benefit plans, innovative trends and best practices, program offerings, compliance and regulatory requirements (i.e., ERISA, PPACA, HIPAA, COBRA, FMLA, CFRA, PDL, ACA, Section 125).
- Implements benefit communication strategy that ensures benefit information is accurate, easy to understand and easy to access by employees. Include oversight of the preparation, peer-review, leadership approval and distribution processes.
- Handles or directs the resolution of elevated and sensitive benefit issues.
- Perform benefit compliance activities related to Open Enrollment, the annual 5500 process, 401(k) audit, CMSreporting, ACA reporting, processing QDROs and issuing 401(k) annual notices, Pension statements, and SPDs.
- Ensures that monthly health and welfare premiums, service fees and retirement plan invoices are paid timely.
- Partner with HRIS Manager to oversee the resolution of benefit system issues.
- Conducts benefit presentations for New Employee Orientation (NEO), Open Enrollment, employee education sessions and/or leadership updates.
- Directs the work of department Analysts and Administrative Specialists and provides guidance and solutions to support their successful work performance. Ensure team is performing accurately, effectively and they are timely with required tasks and deliverables. Works with department team and internal business partners to create process improvements to administrative tasks.
- Manages the preparation and execution of Action Items, Executive Summaries and benefit documentation (e.g. original and amended plan texts, benefit agreements, plan documents, summary plan descriptions, etc.) required for plan changes, updates and plan operations.
- Works with Benefits team and internal business partners to implement new programs and benefit strategies that enhance benefits, educate employees, drive engagement and support the employee value proposition.
FOR COMPENSATION FUNCTION
- Manages daily activities of the compensation department. This includes, but is not limited to development of the department staff and administration of compensation policies and guidelines.
- Manages the market pricing activities by establishing standards and reviewing work of Compensation Analysts, as needed. These activities include the matching of internal positions to external data using standardized surveys for purposes of making recommendations to line management regarding base salary levels, appropriate grade assignment, total compensation opportunity, and/or hiring ranges for a given position.
- Ensures that the administration of various compensation programs are in compliance with established guidelines, processes, and procedures. This may include programs such as incentive compensation, sales compensation, annual merit review cycle, market pricing of positions, etc.
- Conducts and participates in compensation surveys or special compensation studies for purposes of maintaining the company's competitive position within the marketplace.
- Partners with the HRIS team to ensure that appropriate measurements are identified and data gathered for use by the compensation department. Work with the Compensation Analysts to ensure that timely and meaningful analysis occurs and results reported to management for use in making decisions related to the compensation programs and performance of the company.
- Maintain an "expert" level understanding of compensation programs, innovative trends and best practices, Researches compensation best practices using market surveys, networking and other sources of industry information to recommend competitive and cost effective compensation packages.
- Works with Compensation team and internal business partners to implement new programs and compensation strategies that enhance current compensation plans, educate employees, drive engagement and support the employee value proposition.
- Works withinternal business partners to develop content and delivery strategies for employee education and program communication.
- Manages the HR Budget allocation of employee benefit and compensation programs.
- Performs other duties as assigned to support the business needs of the department and organization.
Directs and supervises Compensation and Benefits Operations team. The Compensation and Benefits Operations Manager carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include training employees, planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Bachelor's Degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, Finance or related field required.
- Minimum five (5) years of progressive Compensation and Benefits required.
- Minimum two (2) years of supervisory responsibilitiesrequired.
- Equivalent combination of education and progressive, relevant and direct experience may be considered in lieu of educational requirement.
- Experience in 401(k) management highly preferred.
- In-depth understanding of compensation and benefits administration practices and the ability to successfully coordinate all compensation and benefits administration processes.
- Strong HRIS knowledge and experience necessary.
- Proven leadership skills to provide leadership, guidance, collaboration, and empowerment a must.
- Thorough understanding of regulatory/statutory environment required.
- Extensive understanding of compensation regulations and employee welfare and retirement benefit programs.
- Must have intelligence and experience to know the back-end support and front-end support for Compensation and Benefits services delivery.
- Must be compassionate and have a passion for people.
- Ability to drive for business results is a must.
- Business leader that sees the strategic impact of a well-managed Compensation and Benefits programs.
- Client focused Compensation and Benefits Operations Manager who wants to cultivate the San Manuel Total Rewards Program.
- Must exhibit a positive attitude, a respect for others, a results-oriented approach and ability to work independently as well as collectively.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills; ability to multi-task.
- High level of energy, ambition, positive attitude and ability to work in high diverse team environment to deliver effectiveness and efficiency.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality while handling sensitive information.
- At the discretion of the San Manuel Tribal Gaming Commission you may be required to obtain and maintain a gaming license.
- Certified Compensation Professional (CCP) and/or Certified Benefits Professional (CBP) preferred.
- Certified Employee Benefits Specialist (CEBS) preferred.
San Manuel Band of Mission Indians and San Manuel Casino will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.