The Community Specialist (CS) is a lead on Gilead’s hepatitis C (HCV) community-related market development initiatives. The CS identifies growth opportunities, works closely with internal and external cross-functional teams, develops strategy and executes tactics that will increase growth in untapped, underserved HCV markets. To accomplish this they will collaborate with Sales and Marketing and focus on the timely delivery of HCV disease awareness information, clinical updates on the treatment of HCV, and education on the role Gilead products play in the treatment of this disease. The target audience focuses on accounts with inherent barriers to care (under diagnosis, low literacy, language barriers, living in rural or underserved urban areas, and a general lack of HCV education) as well as a focus on Integrated Health systems, Independent Physician Networks and Large PCP group practices.
The CS is responsible for establishing strong working relationships with organizations serving these communities, such as Federally Qualified Healthcare Centers (FQHCs), Addiction/Methadone Clinics, AIDS Service/Community-Based Organizations (ASOs/CBOs), Department of Health and large healthcare practices delivering primary care, and preventative screening. The successful CS will possess the business acumen and professionalism required to gain the respect of myriad constituents across community and professional organizations, healthcare professionals and hospital administrators. The CS should have the ability to synthesize complex clinical concepts to appropriate literacy and conceptual levels for diverse audiences. Candidates must possess strong presentation and communications skills and a proven record of interacting with healthcare professionals. Candidates must have experience or the necessary competencies to present approved educational materials directly to providers and community support personnel from diverse and varied backgrounds. Candidates must possess a strong background in the managed markets, quality measures and have the ability to interact with C suite executives.
• This is a field-based position located in the specified region above. The CS reports to a CS Regional Director. This position will travel 10-20% of the time.
• Target audience will include calling on administrators, nurse practitioners/physician assistants, MDs, treatment coordinators, social workers, case managers, treatment educators, discharge planners, and outreach workers.
• As appropriate, the CS may serve to facilitate collaboration across these audiences: institutions, patients and professional organizations to improve access to education, care and treatment for HCV.
• Works at national and regional levels with diverse and key customer groups to identify appropriate patients for screening.
• Analyze account details and prepares strategies to customize national direction to the needs of specific accounts. Provides timely and thoughtful analysis and feedback on product/market conditions with a wide variety of internal customers.
• Prioritizes appropriate accounts and implements ambitious plans for change that are aligned to POA
• Provides appropriate communication and teamwork to ensure the Gilead team collectively implements the account plan to achieve its objectives.
• Develops key account strategies to engage customers in appropriate clinical and community solutions. Leads account strategic initiatives to encompass the full continuum of care for Hepatitis C patients.
• May represent company at professional events and promote company products at such events.
• Cooperates with Sales, National Account Managers, Marketing, Medical Scientists and other internal Gilead team members on various cross-functional projects.
• Assists in the identification and resolution of issues and opportunities, and communicates proactively to marketing and sales management.
• Completes necessary administrative tasks in a timely manner, e.g., updating customer database, recording expenses and budget management.
• Operates in compliance with Gilead commercial compliance policy, and all applicable federal and state laws and guidance relating to product promotion, information dissemination, and interactions with healthcare professionals and patients.
• BA or BS degree, preferably in the sciences, public health, public health policy or business related disciplines or a nursing qualification,
• 5+ relevant years of experience in pharmaceutical sales
• Experience must include working with the HCV community and / or public health experience.
• Demonstrated success in coalition building and cross-functional leadership
• Demonstrated knowledge of or prior experience working in or with community-based organizations, integrated health systems and patient populations is desired
• Ability to travel 10-20% of the time.
• Ability to prioritize and organize effectively
• Excellent presentation, verbal, and written skills
• Ability to work in cross-functional teams
• Ability to influence and coalesce diverse groups
• High sense of urgency and strong work-ethic.
The territory includes Sacramento, Inland and Reno, NV.