This position is responsible to manage effective working relationships with our communities, counties, and key community organizations in order to: enhance the Company's image; obtain and retain our franchise agreements; increase throughput by assisting in local economic vitality; and protect the Company's assets within the communities and geographic service territory. Scope includes all aspects of Company's business interests within the community - electric transmission and distribution operations; gas construction and operations; generation; community and economic development; and public affairs. Each CRM is assigned responsibility for between 15 and 60 retail communities, ranging from large metropolitan communities to rural townships with populations less than 100.
- Build & maintain effective working relationships w/ the local governments in the communities & territories we serve, working w/cross-functional teams as appropriate. Build positive relationships w/ assigned communities through proactive professional contact w/elected officials, community leaders, city officials & county boards. Maintain a comprehensive understanding of local issues. Be the focal point between local government & Company operations. Manage issues where there is real or potential conflict between Company & community position. Lead Company's decision-making process on controversial community issues. Keep community officials informed of Company work practices, business decisions & programs which impact customers & the community. Build customer loyalty & satisfaction by responding w/urgency to community requests & concerns. Participate & provide leadership to cross-functional Company team on issues of state-wide concern.
- Protect critical company business interests. Initiate, negotiate and obtain, and ensure implementation of gas and electric franchise agreements. Understand and effectively communicate potential impacts of proposed and enacted local regulations to city officials; work within company and with city officials to achieve favorable outcomes. Keep community officials and leaders informed of critical industry issues, Company policies and emergency situations. Facilitate process for obtaining complex permit approvals for significant distribution, transmission, substation and generation projects vital to Company. Manage the presentation of Company's testimony before local governmental units. Monitor and deter competitive threats, i.e. municipalization, other power suppliers, other service providers, and co-generators.
- Develop and manage community service involvement and support. Ensure Company participation in key community-based organizations and initiatives and initiatives. Manage Company financial support for key community organizations. Manage discretionary contributions program for assigned area and provide input to corporate contributions program.
- Enhance Company growth opportunities. Provide leadership and support to state, regional and local community economic development and community development initiatives and organizations; initiating and supporting Company Economic Development projects and programs. Promote sales of Company programs/services/products. Obtain and disseminate within Company information on relevant changes within communities; i.e., business growth or decline, demographic trends, community issues, and opportunities.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Bachelor's degree (6 years of related experience may substitute for the degree)
- Project management experience
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work with complex issues in a public setting
- Ability to work independently
- Understanding of Company policies, procedures, operations and functions