We are currently seeking a motivated and dynamic Community School Director (CSD) to provide oversight and coordination of the integration and alignment of school- and community-based services throughout an expanded learning day (such as health, mental health, counseling and academic enrichment). The Community School Director (CSD) should establish a very visible presence within the school building, assuming a strong leadership role. The Community School Director is hired by the Lead Partner CBO in consultation with the principal and the School Leadership Team (SLT).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Direct the development of the annual Community School Plan consistent with the expectations of the Principal and School Leadership Team (SLT).
- Hire, train, and supervise Community School staff, including Success Mentors, and CBO partners.
- Serve as liaison between school leadership, school community members, Community Based Organizations, City agencies, and corporate partners.
- Serve as the point person for agencies and programs interested in partnering with the school, facilitate alliances, and help to broker new partnerships with City agencies and not-for profit partners that are aligned with school goals and needs.
- Implement a menu of needs-driven, high quality programs and services in adherence with the Community School Model, including but not limited to supervision of Expanded Learning Time, day school CBO enrichment programs, health services (dental, vision, mental health), and interventions targeted to chronically absent students
- Oversee assets and conduct needs assessments on an ongoing basis and seek input from teachers, school leaders, school staff, guardians, and students to determine ongoing needs of students and families.
- Supervise and coordinate the collection of progress monitoring data, timely submission of reports, and responses to other requests for information by Community Schools, NYCDOE, CBO partners, and City agencies
- Attend and facilitate meetings with NYCDOE, Community Schools, CBO partners, and school leadership during and after official school hours.
- Create and implement a Parent and Community Engagement Plan which included the develop and coordinate monthly workshops and learning opportunities for community and families related to Community School initiatives as well as a monthly Community Schools Newsletter
- Manage the Community School annual budget to coordination with Principal and Lead CBO Director
- Supervise and coordinate Community Schools Summer in the City initiatives
Qualification, Skills and Knowledge Requirements
- Bachelor's degree with at least 3 years of relevant professional experience; Master's degree preferred
- Knowledge and experience with the principles of adult learning
- Experience working with children, adolescents, educators, families, and communities from a wide range of cultural, social, and economic backgrounds.
- Experience working in a school-based setting.
- Ability to collaborate and building strong, positive relationships with and between community stakeholders
- Self-motivated initiative-taker able to take responsibility for launching and coordination of short-term and ling-term initiatives
- Ability to work with autonomy and in a dual reporting structure
- Must be available to work some weeknights and Saturday hours