Reporting to MTG’s Communications and Stakeholder Relations Lead, the Community Relations Specialist is a key liaison with the Construction management team/on-site construction crews, MTG Communication team, and members of the public. The person in this role gathers updates about planned construction activities and traffic management, then collaborates with the Communications team to develop public notification materials, meetings, and/or activities to inform local residents, businesses and key stakeholders of what, when, and where to expect changes due to construction and who to call for more information.
- Liaise with Construction management team/on-site construction staff to understand, and accurately communicate the type, sequencing and duration of construction work and its associated impact on the public and other stakeholders.
- Monitor construction schedules and provide real-time progress updates to the MTG Communications team to support the development of accurate and timely public communications materials.
- Uphold notification requirements with the Construction management team/on-site construction crews and MTG Communication teams.
- Foster and maintain relationships with residents, business owners, educational institutions, BIAs and other stakeholders affected by the Project construction activities.
- Together with MTG staff and the Client, identify, track and resolve contentious construction-related issues affecting the public, particularly for those in the immediate construction area.
- Attend coordination and working group meetings, as assigned, to identify opportunities for public engagement as well as to coordinate and integrate public communications activities with planned construction works.
- Maintain a detailed events calendar that support the Communications Team in planning of all communications/stakeholder relations/ community engagement materials that are consistent, effective and integrated.
- Plan, organize and execute public open houses, information sessions, open houses, tele-townhalls, community liaison groups, stakeholder meetings, and community events, including the logistics to ensure a consistent, effective and rewarding experience for all.
- Develop presentations for public meetings and open houses, as assigned.
- Support the development and maintenance of business signs in the Project corridor.
- Support on-site incident and crisis communications by providing timely progress updates to the MTG Communications team.
- Attend Communications Working Group Meeting, as required.
- On a rotating schedule with the other Community Relations person, staff the Project Community Office to respond, record and assess public inquiries or comments, where required.
- Liaise with MTG’s staff and the client to respond to public inquiries (in-person, by telephone or via email) about design and construction activities (including information on construction schedules, transit and traffic impacts, community meetings, etc.) in a timely and efficient manner
Required Knowledge & Skills
- Post-secondary education in communications, public relations or journalism.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in Community Relation/Community Liaison or Corporate Communications and good understanding of communicating about transit projects or construction-related projects.
- Good presentation and negotiation skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Bilingual speaker of English/Italian, English/Spanish, English/Vietnamese, or English/Punjabi is an asset.
- Must work well within a cross-functional team environment as well as independently.
- Excellent interpersonal skill; ability to build positive relationships and working effectively with a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Must be energetic and comfortable with a fast-paced environment with constantly changing needs.
- Proven track record in coordinating multiple priorities and applying effective issues management techniques.
- Excellent skills with MS PowerPoint, Word, and Excel.
- This is an on-site position. Must have a vehicle and be able to drive and walk along the project corrid