Job DescriptionU.S. Bancorp Community Development Corporation (USBCDC) provides tax credit investments, loans, and banking services to organizations and projects that support affordable housing and economic development in underserved communities across the country. The Community Finance Relationship Manager position is part of the Specialty Finance team within USBCDC. Specialty Finance provides loans, investments, and banking services to Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) Syndicators, Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFIs), Affordable Housing Consortiums, and to New Markets Tax Credit and Historic Tax Credit transactions. The Community Finance Relationship Manager will report to the Director of Specialty Finance, and will work closely with staff across the team and department. Key responsibilities will include:
- Loan Originations
- Business development, structuring, underwriting, and closing loans primarily to LIHTC Syndicators, Affordable Housing Consortiums, and other community development real estate funds.
- Source new business through establishing and deepening relationships with existing clients, and prospecting new clients. Partner with USBCDC’s LIHTC Equity team to provide comprehensive capital solutions to customers.
- Underwrite the financial strength of fund sponsors, the financial strength of fund investors, and the transaction’s overall capital structure. Where applicable, underwrite the credit quality of a fund’s real estate portfolio.
- Ensure that subject transactions are underwritten in compliance with U.S. Bank credit policy.
- Prepare comprehensive written credit memos, and recommend credit approval to USBCDC senior management and USB Credit Risk Management.
- Negotiate legal documentation with borrowers, in coordination with internal and external legal counsel.
- Coordinate with USBCDC Deposit & Payment Solutions team to provide banking services and products to customers.
- Coordinate with portfolio managers and loan servicing team to manage existing relationships, including completion of annual reviews, ongoing covenant compliance, and internal credit audits.
The Community Finance Relationship Manager position represents an exciting opportunity to be a leader on a growing team and expanding line of business within USBCDC. The Community Finance Relationship Manager will provide strategic direction and leadership to the entire team, and will partner with the Director of Specialty Finance to make decisions on processes, procedures, staffing, budgeting, and complex deal issues. Candidates will be able to combine their experience in banking and real estate finance with a passion for housing and economic development activities.
- Master's degree, or equivalent work experience
- 10 or more years of commercial lending experience
- Strong relationship management and business development/sales skills
- Well-developed analytical and problem-solving skills
- Considerable knowledge of credit and credit quality
- Thorough knowledge of bank products and services
- Ability to work effectively with individuals and groups in managing customer relationships
- Excellent presentation, verbal and written communication skills
- Previous small business banking experience