Planned Parenthood of Greater New York is seeking a full time Community Engagement Manager to join our Community Engagement team.
The Community Engagement Manager is responsible for the daily oversight, coordination, and programming of community health promotion programming including but not limited to the Promotores de Salud and Sex Education for Adults. Builds accountable relationships with community leaders and partners to position Planned Parenthood of Greater New York as a health care provider of choice. Works collaboratively with other Equity and Engagement departments to ensure that community needs are appropriately addressed. Coordinates and provides outreach as well as educational activities to English and Spanish speaking adults of all ages. Develops educational tools and materials, as well as monitors program progress in meeting deliverables. Supervises educators, including but not limited to Promotores de Salud and Sex Education for Adults staff. This is a full-time position located within New York City and Nassau County, and involves travel within the region about 20% of the time.
This is an exciting and important time at Planned Parenthood of Greater New York . We are building on our strength with dynamic new leadership, talented staff members, engaged donors and activists, and amazing community partners. We are determined to thrive and grow in these times of transition and resistance.
Planned Parenthood of Greater New York (PPGNY) stands strong as a trusted provider of sexual and reproductive health (SRH) care, an accurate source of sexual health information, and a steadfast partner in the ongoing fight to achieve sexual and reproductive justice, especially health and racial equity. Working at PPGNY is more than a job. It is an opportunity to help ensure that all New Yorkers have access to affordable, high-quality sexual and reproductive health care and evidence-based education programming so they can lead healthy lives and fulfill their dreams. We approach our work through a reproductive justice lens, seeking to break down the barriers that prevent individuals from accessing the health care and information they need and deserve.
What the Community Engagement Manager does:
- Administrative Coordination
- Recruits, trains, and supports educators to promote SRH education within target communities and link community members with services at the PPGNY health centers.
- Coordinates outreach to adults and Latinx immigrants, including partnership with various Consulates, shelters, colleges, and other adult and Latinx immigrant serving organizations.
- Provides ongoing supervision and support to educators, including professional development trainings, monthly team meetings, and one-on-one supervision.
- Assists the Director of Community Engagement in coordinating new community health promotion program initiatives as determined by program grants. This includes professional development and attending trainings to provide ongoing support to staff.
- Program and Office Support
- Collects input from community residents to assure community involvement in program decision-making and direction of outreach and education.
- Develops and maintains relationships with community leaders and organizations to create collaborations between the community health promotion programs, PPGNY’s health services and other education programs.
- Facilitate workshops for adults (18+) solo and/or co-facilitate with other educators
- Works in conjunction with the Clinical Services Department to monitor and further develop the role of community engagement programming in linking adults and Latinx immigrants to PPGNY’s services and supporting English and Spanish speaking patients in PPGNY’s health centers.
- Coordinates collaborations with other PPGNY departments and other Community Engagement programs.
- Foster collaborations and communication with other community engagement programs within other Planned Parenthood Affiliates, the Federation and outside the Planned Parenthood network.
- Stays current on research related to sexuality and reproductive health, especially as it pertains to adults and Latinxs.
- Works as a member of the Community Engagement Department and maintains high standards of professionalism. Represents the Department at selected internal and external meetings, and consortiums.
- Works effectively with volunteers, trainees and other agency personnel.
- Budgetary/Statistical Support
- Works in conjunction with the Research and Evaluation Department Community Engagement staff to measure the impact of the programs education and outreach activities.
- Collects appropriate data and assists with program reports for funders.
- Collects service logs on a monthly basis, documenting health center referrals and provision of community education.
- Creates and maintains a master database of all community outreach and education administered by community health promotion program staff.
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Health, Human Sexuality or other related field
- Bilingual in English and Spanish.
- At least three years of related and/or applicable supervisory experience.
- You have a demonstrated understanding of the role that racial inequity plays in our society and its impact on healthcare systems and institutions, and consistently integrate your deep understanding of key racial equity concepts into work projects and interactions by addressing structural implications and disproportionate impacts of policies, activities, and decisions on race, class and other group identities within the context of job responsibilities and projects.
- Ability to manage and mentor a culturally diverse team, including creating and sustaining an organizational culture that fosters inclusiveness and equity, and providing positive and developmental feedback and accountability related to practices including but not limited to equity
- Strong facilitation skills
- Experience working with adult populations as well as Latinx immigrants, and knowledge about sexual and reproductive health.
- Willingness to travel throughout NYC and Nassau County.
PPGNY's benefits package includes:
Generous PTO and holiday schedule
Medical, dental and vision coverage options for you and eligible dependents
FSA, HSA, Commuter pre-tax reimbursement funds
Short and Long Term Disability, Free Basic Life and AD&D
401(k) Retirement Plan with Safe Harbor contributions after 1 year of employment
All positions at PPGNY require:
Proof of immunization or immunity to certain communicable diseases (including influenza during the flu season) and testing for tuberculosis. These certifications are required by the NYC DOHMH Health Code, NYSDOH and OSHA.