The Community Engagement Director is responsible for developing community partnerships with healthcare providers, corporations/worksites and community-based organizations to expand the mission activities in the assigned local market area. This position is responsible for the day-to-day oversight, implementation and management of the Arthritis Foundation’s strategic mission pillars - Help & Support, Juvenile Arthritis and Advocacy & Access. Successful Community Engagement Directors will recruit, train and manage volunteers to achieve the annual goals. The Community Engagement Director works closely with the Executive Directors in their local market area, JA Specialists, Advocacy/Access Coordinators/Directors, HCP Directors, Development Managers, Senior Development Directors, Development Directors, Regional VP’s, Market Relations Coordinator, Help and Support, Marketing and Communications, members of the Senior Leadership and others within the Arthritis Foundation as needed to provide leadership and understanding of the strategic mission pillars. The Community Engagement Director works closely with Market Area healthcare providers, corporations, worksites, community-based organizations and others to help develop strong and lasting relationships and advance the mission strategy in the community. The Community Engagement Director also works to recruit, develop, train, and retain long-lasting relationships with volunteers and volunteer leaders with a goal to assist the Arthritis Foundation to achieve our annual revenue goals.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES (Principal responsibilities or job duties)
- Volunteer Recruitment & Management: Identify, recruit, cultivate, train and manage local volunteers to carry out Help & Support, Juvenile Arthritis (JA), Healthcare Provider Outreach and Advocacy & Access mission-deliverables. Manage Help & Support, Medical, Juvenile Arthritis and Advocacy & Access chairs and their subcommittees from local Leadership Boards.
- Healthcare Provider Outreach: In collaboration with volunteers and development staff, initiate and cultivate relationships and partnerships with health care providers, healthcare organizations/systems, healthcare-related businesses and professional medical organizations.
- Consumer Cultivation: Manage consumer cultivation through Better Living Toolkit, JA Power Pack, digital tools (Arthritis Resource Finder and Your Exercise Solution), community education events and Expos, plus other future, additional entry points. Assist with consumer telephone and email requests for community resources and referrals. In collaboration with Market Relations Coordinator, ensure that consumer, volunteer and healthcare provider interactions and engagement levels are entered in Affinity (CRM software).
- Advocacy & Access: Lead and participate in local and regional advocacy activities including ambassador and advocate recruitment and state house advocacy days.
- Juvenile Arthritis Initiatives: Lead the recruitment and cultivation of JA families, campers, healthcare providers, volunteers and speakers for market-level JA events such as family days and camp programs.
- Mission Metrics: Enter and manage consumer, volunteer and healthcare provider interactions and engagement levels in Affinity (CRM software). Review and update market/state level annual and monthly mission-metrics.
- Funding/Resource Management: Identify and secure funding sources including community and corporate grants, sponsorships and personal/major gifts. Collaborate with development team members to identify leads and relationships for increased revenue. Oversee and manage financial resources within the established annual budget.
- Collaboration with Development: Collaborate with development staff to assist with fundraising events, understanding that all market-level events and activities require a team effort. Lead mission related efforts such as recruiting JA families, businesses and community leaders for teams and leadership role within Walk to Cure Arthritis, Jingle Bell Walk/Run, and other special events. Participate personally at Walk to Cure Arthritis, Jingle Bell Run/Walk, and other special events.
- All other duties as assigned byExecutive Director.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
- Bachelor’s degree in health promotion, health education, or related field plus 3 – 5 years’ experience in community outreach/engagement and partnership development or equivalent education and experiencepreferred.
- Experience with project and partnership management, volunteer recruitment and management and partnership development skills required.
- Prior experience working in a voluntary health agency helpful.
- Valid driver’s license (some overnight travel may be required).
Value Added Qualifications:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Outstanding interpersonal, networking, and negotiation skills.
- Proven track record of success meeting and exceeding financial and mission goals.
- Ability to recruit, train, and motivate volunteers.
- Knowledge of sales, marketing and communications.
- Knowledge of public health and health promotion.
- Previous experience in or knowledge of fundraising.
- Previous experienceworking with children and their families with chronic health conditions.
- Previous experienceworking with medical insurance, healthcare providers and professional medical organizations.
- Past advocacy and legislative affairsexperience.
- Embraces change and promotes a culture grounded in adaptability.
- Strong professional network of corporate and healthcare contacts.
- Bilingual skills (Spanish) is a plus.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND TIME SPENT
Volunteer Recruitment & Management
Healthcare Provider Outreach
Access & Advocacy