Applicants are advised that relocation of our Washington, D.C. metropolitan area offices is in progress, from offices near the White House and in Herndon, Virginia, to Capitol Hill and Tysons, Virginia. Anticipate completion summer 2019.
The Air Line Pilots Association, International (ALPA), the largest airline pilot union in the world and the largest non-governmental aviation safety organization in the world (representing over 62,000 pilots at 33 U.S. and Canadian airlines) seeks an experienced Communications Specialist for our office in Herndon/Tysons, Virginia or Phoenix, Arizona. The Communications Specialist provides strategic and tactical communications support for ALPA's pilot leaders to build effective communications plans and provide professional support in all areas of pilots' day-to-day communication operations. S/he will provide leadership and assist pilot groups to develop and execute an overall communications strategy in helping our pilot groups determine the proper development, packaging, placement, and timing of communications that advance their goals; execute programs and campaigns to support collective bargaining and advocacy priorities for the pilot group; and, handle general communications, including media relations, social media, community/stakeholder relations, and other outreach support.
Overall, s/he will exercise leadership and initiative, influence the decision-making process, and ensure that project benchmarks and deadlines are met. S/he must exhibit excellent writing, problem-solving, consensus-building, and interpersonal skills to establish credibility with pilot leaders and ALPA's professional staff and be a skilled media and social media tactician, able to take complex issues and transform them into clear communications for multiple audiences to increase audience reach and engagement.
Local and national travel with the possibility of some international travel: 10 - 20%; sporadically 25% plus.
Minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
· Bachelor's degree in relevant area, e.g., Communications, English, Journalism, Marketing, Public Relations, or related field, from an accredited college or university is required, master's degree or completion of post-graduate courses preferred; or, the equivalent combination of education and practical experience.
· Minimum of five (5) years of experience in a communications role at ALPA or in an equivalent advocacy and/or communications position elsewhere required. Aviation and/or labor union experience preferred.
· Very strong interpersonal and communication skills, oral and written, for effective interaction with internal staff, external contacts, and pilots. Attention to detail when reviewing and editing written materials required.
· Must possess excellent time management skills; be able to work independently in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment; and, transition easily between projects and pilot groups.
· Ability to effectively interpret and disseminate complex information about aviation safety and security, labor contracts and collective bargaining, and communicate for public understanding strongly preferred.
· Possesses the professional demeanor necessary to address issues of a complex nature, to establish credibility in contentious circumstances, and to positively affect members, the media, and other audiences.
· Experience planning and implementing proactive media, social media, and PR/education campaigns with a proven track record in pitching media and securing story placements.
· Track record in developing, executing, and evolving comprehensive and proactive communications plans, as well as specific programs and campaigns a definite plus.
· Must be a self-starter with professional maturity and sound judgment, capable of independent decision-making.
· Able to develop and execute social media strategies that build awareness and support for key pilot group initiatives, including follower campaigns, social media advertising, and the like also a plus.
· Knowledge of desktop publishing, presentation, design, and web content management preferred, with a willingness to learn new software applications to enhance effectiveness.
· Basic social media skills to include phone photos, phone videos, and Facebook Live. Photography, videography, and graphic design skills preferred.
· Software: Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint required; Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign) and Adobe Dreamweaver desirable. Sitecore and/or HTML a plus. Basic audio/video editing also a plus.
Note: The physical demands described herein are characteristic of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential physical activities of this position described below.
Constantly operates a computer/smartphone/tablet. Regularly required to maintain a stationary position, move about the office and the local metropolitan area, determine what others have said or written, and converse with others and exchange accurate information.
Regularly required to sit, stand, bend, reach, and move about the office and travel (locally, nationally, and internationally). Also includes occasional bending, stooping, squatting, and/or pushing and pulling or moving, e.g., to pack, unpack, and/or move cases.
Occasionally required to move, raise, reach, and/or retrieve binders, books, boxes, and files up to ten (10) pounds (lbs.). While on travel, could be responsible to move, raise, reach, and/or retrieve luggage weighing as much as 50 lbs. (Assistance may not always be available.)
ALPA offers competitive salaries with excellent benefits, including:
· 26 days paid vacation and holidays per year;
· Generous sick and bereavement leave;
· Generous health care benefits – PPO, two HMO's (where available) and a High Deductible Health Plan which includes coverage for medical, dental, and vision benefits for employee, spouse, and/or dependent children;
· Company-paid premiums for disability and life insurance;
· $3 for $1 matching 401(k) retirement savings plan; Roth 401k;
· Flexible Spending and Health Savings accounts; and
· Retiree health plan.
The Air Line Pilots Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Relocation Not Provided.