Khan Academy is looking for a communications and PR manager to amplify our story across the country and around the world. We’re a nonprofit organization with a mission of providing a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere. Today, more than 10 million learners, teachers, and parents use Khan Academy each month. But we believe this is just the tip of the iceberg!
As part of our communications team, you’ll tell the Khan Academy story through media and external communications. You’ll work with top-tier news outlets, get to know some of our most avid users, and spearhead major announcements that have a global impact on education. You’ll report to our head of communications and be the only other in-house expert in media relations.
We’re a small and mighty team in Mountain View, CA, that is deeply invested in our mission. Help shape the future of learning by joining Khan Academy!
- Own major organizational announcements from conception through execution
- Create clear and consistent announcement narratives by collaborating with colleagues in marketing, product management, and leadership
- Pitch company news, profiles, features, and thought leadership pieces
- Surface compelling user stories
- Manage and analyze PR metrics
- Make data-driven decisions to prioritize our future PR efforts
- Own and prioritize inbound media requests
- Write bespoke press releases
- Five years of media relations experienceworking withreporters and producers from national outlets
- An understanding of journalists’ needs, deadlines, and deliverables
- Great storytelling instincts
- Excellent writing and copy editing skills
- A proven track record of quickly grasping complex topics and explaining them in an easy-to-understand manner for external audiences
- Strong project management skills
- Strong relationship management skills within an organization and externally
- A strong team-player mindset and a focus on deliverables
- A passion for education and a desire to make a difference
WE OFFER THE FOLLOWING BENEFITS
We may be a nonprofit, but we reward our talented team well!
- Highly competitive salaries and annual bonuses
- Ample paid time off as needed – we are about getting things done, not face time
- Delicious catered lunch daily plus tons of snacks and beverages
- The opportunity to work on high-impact products and programs that are already defining the future of education
- Great location: walking distance to Caltrain and downtown Mountain View.
- Awesome team events and weekly board game nights
- The ability to improve real lives through education
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you freedom to be brilliant
- Oh, and we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life