What you'll do...
At H&R Block, your contributions will go far beyond any job description. When you join our team, you’ll add to the momentum of a forward-thinking company—one that defined an industry and is now leading its transformation.
H&R Block is seeking an internal communications manager—a highly creative, digitally savvy storyteller, who is as passionate about the story itself as he/she is about the storytelling channels and dedicated to building understanding of and engagement with our purpose and strategy across a variety of internal audiences.
This internal communications manager will work closely with the narrative and storytelling arm of H&R Block, comprised of corporate communications and social media professionals who are charged with transforming and driving the brand’s narrative internally and externally.
At H&R Block, we act boldly, we crave tough problems, we demand high standards and we value winning as a team – working cross functionally to drive our business to new heights. In so doing, this internal communications manager will engage with all areas of the business to tell new stories, share new ideas and deliver new ways of engaging and empowering associates and franchisees.
Specifically, this content manager will define, create and manage stories and other internal communication tactics with the goal of aligning and energizing all associates to demonstrate and evangelize our purpose, behaviors and five-year strategic transformation plan.
Internal communications manager must understand creative internal storytelling in the digital age and what makes a powerful story with engagement top of mind. This creative person should be proactive and strategic, determined and dedicated to delivering engaging content across differing internal audiences, from corporate to field to franchise, to empower and enable our people to provide our clients with expertise + care and make a positive impact in our communities.
Day to day, you’ll…
- Create dynamic content that supports our internal communications strategies connecting associates to our company’s greater purpose and strategies.
- Partner with peers throughout other organizations to develop communications plans, goals and content.
- Stage and publish daily intranet content for associates using our content management system.
- Assist in the design and distribution of a weekly email newsletter to associates.
- Manage the calendar and creation of digital signage for our associates who work at our downtown Kansas City headquarters.
- Organize, prioritize and coordinate multiple activities and tasks relative to our internal communications channels and other communications events and efforts.
What you'll bring to the team...
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, Public Relations, or other related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Driven by innate curiosity and self-motivation, demonstrate a proven ability to unearth the stories behind the stories by building relationships, connecting the dots between concepts, and gathering inspiration and insights both inside and outside of our company walls.
- A minimum of five years progressive communications experience, preferably with a publicly held company and/or public relations firm.
- Strong creative writing ability in a variety of styles – particularly feature, online articles, and internal social – is critical.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to include oral and written communication. Strong presentation skills to communicate and persuade a wide range of audiences.
- Effective project management skills, the ability to manage multiple simultaneous projects, the ability to balance short- and long-term priorities, and the ability to deliver projects on time and within budget.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of corporate communications principles and practices.
- Understanding of publication and video design, layout and production as well as visual communications.
- Demonstrated strategic and analytical skills and the ability to assess how communications can support and drive the business unit’s goals.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment and under pressure.
It would be even better if you also had...
- Three years of experience delivering internal communications with a public corporation.
- A minimum of five years of experience in a corporate communications department.
- Extensive creative writing experience, including feature articles.
- A basic understanding of Photoshop (and/or InDesign/Illustrator) and prior experience in video capture, editing and production.
- Understanding and previous use of a Windows-based computer system.
- Proficiency in Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Understanding of design layout and ability to learn new content management systems.