Develops and executes strategic communications campaigns, primarily for external audiences, with the goals of:
1. Promoting the mission, values and interests of NRECA and America’s Electric Cooperatives,
2. Aligning the strategic objectives of NRECA, the association’s strategic communications priorities and the interests of member electric cooperatives
3. Leveraging the work of NRECA and our members to tell compelling stories and engage the media
4. Strengthening visibility of NRECA resources, output and reputation through aggressive earned media outreach while increasing member engagement and advocating NRECA’s policy positions.
5. Coordinating with teams in Communications and Marketing, Government Relations, and Education and Training, among others, to create and execute communications plans to appropriate audiences.
Supports the production of content in a variety of forms, distributed through multiple channels for external (interested) audiences.
Purpose and Mission
1. Determines communications priorities related to major NRECA initiatives, working with subject matter experts and policy staff and the communications staff. Develops and executes high-level messages,talking points, and media pitches.
2. Coordinates with subject matter experts to ensure that key research, policy papers, and public remarks are effectively promoted to the media and other audiences.
3. Establishes regular cross-departmental communications to ensure consistency in priorities and messaging.
4. Develops and maintains a strong media relations strategy to support NRECA’s communications priorities.
5. Establishes and maintains good working relationships with reporters and editors at national, regional, technology and trade publications to support aggressive earned media outreach.
6. Writes, or assist with writing, news releases, statements, advisories, op-eds, website content and other external communications materials.
7. Works with digital communications staff to develop innovative content strategies for association content.
8. Monitors web communications and advises digital communications staff to ensure that external websites stay up-to-date on key issues.
9. Works with the NRECA digital team to effective leverage social media as a way to engage media and ensure relevant and timely publication of NRECA positions.
10. Engages and supports electric co-op communicators while working to highlight the importance of a proactive media strategy.
11. Directs activities, manage contractors and consultants, as applicable, and lead multi-functional teams as needed to ensure successful completion of projects.
12. Assists on the development of budget plan to ensure appropriate communications and marketing resources.
Requirements and Qualifications
Bachelor’s degree in journalism or communications or an equivalent combination of education, training, and additional experience.
Seven years experience in journalism, communications or press relations with experience in writing both for technical and non-technical audiences.
• Ability to deal with the media to effectively tell the Cooperative story regarding the issues facing our industry as demonstrated by prior work experience.
• Ability to lead people and foster collaborative skills and consensus building while operating in a fast-moving environment as demonstrated by prior work experience.
• Ability to manage competing deadlines and multiple projects at various stages of development using effective organization skills and attention to detail as demonstrated by prior work experience.