The Communications Director provides media and messaging expertise as SYF’s lead on strategic communication functions associated with the organization’s awareness, fund development, digital/social media and relationship building; including public, community and SPG internal corporate public relations to enhance, grow and sustain the Foundation’s presence on a local, regional and national level. Responsibilities include leveraging available internal and external assets to tell compelling stories about the work of SYF that achieve strategic goals for the Foundation.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, marketing, communications or related field.
- Minimum 5 to 7years of experience working in public relations or corporate communications (Previous communications experience in a non-profit setting strongly preferred and highly desired.)
- Effective communication generalist; superior, proven written and verbal communication skills that capture the attention of the receiver and a strong ability to translate complex information into informative, influential and easily understood accurate messages.
- Demonstrated story generation and publicity for fundraising and special event management experience.
- Capacity to work within a team environment, with multiple/simultaneous campaign and activation modes.
- Ability to think, act and respond strategically within matrix relationships of clients and stakeholders.
- Computer/software competency. Desired knowledge of Blackbaud, HTML, CRM, CMS systems.
- Previous experience in timely/proactive project management/personnel management role.
- Capability to handle multiple projects at any time is a given, and must be substantiated.
- Prior significant experience as a PR, corporate communications, or journalist generalist, highly desired.
MAJOR DUTIES, FUNCTIONS, AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under guidance of President/Chief Executive Officer and Vice President, Advancement, develops and defines all messaging and messaging strategy relating to the Foundation and its mission for both internal and external use to create, maintain and expand a positive public image to establish and foster loyalty among stakeholders. Ensures direct reports and otherinternal colleagues effectively communicate SYF messaging across all platforms.
Specific duties include:
With the help of Communications staff and other colleagues, constructs correspondence, talking points and other communications collateral:
- Simon Youth Foundation Annual Impact Report
- Fundraising campaigns, including annual Simon Employee Contribution Campaign
- SYF Annual Conference
- Academy graduations, field fundraising events, and scholarship ceremonies, etc.
- SYF communications to SPG corporate
- Serve as Foundation liaison with SPG corporate communications, digital media, global creative services and other areas as needed.
- Support local special events as directed by Vice President, Advancement.
- Drafts speeches, reports, presentation for CEO and other senior team as needed.
- Edits, reviews and approves external communications as needed.
AUTHORITY AND RESPONSIBILITY
Communications Director has the authority and responsibility to:
Serve as spokesperson on behalf of SYF, either through delegation or through absence of the CEO or Vice President, Advancement.
Pursue in-kind gifts or grants that support the fundraising efforts and/or operational budget, specifically in the areas of communication resources, media and public relations.
Oversee effective use of budgets in marketing, public relations and branding in collaboration with Vice President, Advancement.