As part of a small, passionate and accomplished team of experts, you will design, develop and test next generation space based communications technologies. This position is an excellent opportunity to be on the leading edge of aerospace hardware design.
You should be comfortable working in a fast-paced and often uncertain environment, contributing to innovative solutions, while demonstrating personal leadership, technical competence, and attention to detail. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedicated commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable spaceflight.
- Develop high bandwidth communications architectures that can scale over many orders of magnitude and support launch, in-space, and planetary lander systems.
- Conduct research, analysis, and prototype development (analytical, computational, experimental) for X/Ka RF, optical communications, and optical ground station infrastructure.
- Participate in standards development for delay tolerant network and topologies.
- Develop detailed designs, procure components and materials and conduct testing to demonstrate system performance.
- Plan, conduct, and technically direct projects, coordinating the efforts of a small team or contractor as needed. Monitor and report on progress.
- Support sales and business development activities, including the development of technical proposals.
- Minimum of a M.S. degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent field.
- At least 5 years industry experience in space system communications architecture and design.
- Demonstrated experience with on-orbit RF or optical communications systems.
- Demonstrated technical expertise in spacecraft, launch vehicle, or planetary lander communications development; including one or more of the following: coding techniques (LDPC, Turbocode, etc...), software defined radio development and simulation, RF front end design with focus on LNAs, solid state RF GaN power amplifiers, free-space optical communications development, IEEE 802.3 and TCP/IP.
- Ability to work and thrive with dynamic and changing teams on diverse projects.
- History of developing solutions with partially defined requirements and changing criteria.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
- PhD in Electrical Engineering or related discipline with a focus in networking and communications
- Experience doing design/test of aerospace hardware for a high reliability environment.
- Experience with CMOS imaging sensor development and design.
- Experience with solid state laser design.
- 2+yr MATLAB and Simulink development experience.
- Python simulation and tool development experience.