Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and train personnel assigned to Project Manager.
- Perform performance evaluations for all employees assigned to this position.
- Comply with procedures as outlined in the Company Construction Manual.
- Establish and maintain an effective and professional working relationship with Owners, Architects, Engineers, Subcontractors, Suppliers, h/dc and other Employees.
- Review and monitor all design phase and construction phase documents for conformance with the budget and schedule.
- Provide accurate conceptual budgeting from architectural sketches.
- Participate in interviews with current and potential clients.
- Provide customer service to internal and external clients in a timely manner.
- Act as a marketing representative.
- Build and maintain long term client relationships.
- Match qualified Subcontractors to project types and create bid lists.
- Prepare “Instructions to Subcontractors” and coordinate bidding process on assigned projects.
- Evaluate bids from Subcontractors and make selection recommendations.
- Assemble, scope and determine low qualified Subcontractor bids and make recommendations.
- Responsible for buying out a job through completion to ensure minimal open issues.
- Assemble estimates, GC’s and supervision, and prepare final pricing for negotiated and hard bid projects.
- Notify Subcontractors of job awards for specific projects. Issue “Thank You For Bidding” letters to non-awarded Subcontractors.
- Negotiate pricing and contract scope with Subcontractors.
- Participate in drafting client contracts.
- Develop and maintain the Milestone Schedule, Detail Design Phase Schedule, Preconstruction, Long Lead and Detailed Construction Phase Schedule.
- Review submittals and shop drawings to ensure that they meet criteria or intent.
- Control job cost system, information and design analysis.
- Review the Subcontract Billing Worksheet, Pay Estimate Breakdown and Monthly Progress Payment Request and monitor payment receipts and disbursements. INPUT payments into Prolog/Timberline.
- Prepare monthly Prolog/Timberline Project Forecasts, Cost Reports and Construction Billing Forecasts.
- Conduct job start-up meeting with h/dc team prior to any work and start job closeout meeting at job completion.
- Manage overall job completion process, including; schedules, scope changes, maintaining budget, Change Order requests, Owner Change Orders, etc.
- Assure all project activities are executed after proper planning has been done to prevent problems.
- Establish and maintain strong communications with clients and/or project Architects and Engineers on all matters relating to the job.
- Manage the day-to-day issues of Project Superintendents, Project Engineers and Construction Administrators.
- Resolve serious Superintendent/Subcontractor disputes and/or Subcontractor performance issues.
- Verify safety compliance when on the jobsite. Coordinate with Superintendent on notices to Subcontractors.
- Coordinate and ensure proper set-up and maintenance of submittals, ASI’s, etc. with Superintendent and Project Engineer.
- Communicate job progress, changes and/or updates to h/dc Construction Director.
- Initiate punchlist generation.
- Enforce project closeout efforts.
- Oversee preparation of Closeout Manual and As-Builts.
- Ensure preparation of Monthly Expediting Report.
Education and Experience
- Experience with large commercial office buildings or similar, and projects in excess of 20 million.
- Minimum 5 years’ progressive and position related work experience in construction management.
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university in construction management or related field,
- OR an equivalent number of years of education and experience.
Knowledge and Skills
- Requires demonstrated leadership abilities and a broad knowledge of construction methods, materials and systems.
- A good understanding of construction methods, building concepts, materials, scheduling, bidding, estimating and blueprint reading is essential.
- This position requires excellent people skills, as well as good communication skills and a high level of integrity.
- Excellent computer skills are required.
- Driving is required for this position.
Certifications and Licenses
- A valid driver's license and good driving record is a requirement of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee must regularly work in an office and or construction environment.
- Conditions regularly include exposure to outdoor elements, hot/cold temperatures, wet conditions, noise, atmospheric conditions and cramped quarters.
- The noise level in the work environment is occasionally loud.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee must regularly sit, stand, walk, talk or hear and use hands to finger, feel and handle; frequently reach with hands and arms; occasionally climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Must frequently lift and or move 10 pounds and occasionally lift and or move up to 50 pounds.