This position will direct, plan and organize Canadian commercial geochemistry operations, ensuring they meet customer expectations, production, and efficiency targets. This position is focused on managing and motivating local operation managers to achieve set performance objectives and deliver operational efficiencies to support the business unit growth plan.
- Accountable for the planning and management of the sample pipeline and operational capacity for all Canadian commercial geochemistry sites
- Monitors each laboratory to ensure optimal staff levels/shifts to achieve required expectations for sample throughput, turnaround time and financial performance.
- Ensures that each operation is reasonably equipped to meet turnaround time and sample throughput requirements.
- Accountable for regular review of the sales pipeline to determine available capacity for new and ongoing work and identifying and communicating gaps to senior management.
- Communicates with the client services team regarding actual or anticipated failures to meet client expectations for turnaround time or capacity providing detailed explanations, corrective action plans and progress reports as necessary
- Reviews all Cap-Ex requisitions prior to submitting to the Regional Business Manager.
- Directs local operations managers and supervisors in setting set and monitor production targets.
- Leads continuous improvement projects and provides authoritative opinions in their area of expertise and finds new and innovative ways of improving production efficiencies and local contribution.
- General technical accountabilities include assisting client services or management with RFQ/RFP’s, as well as providing technical direction to client services.
- University degree in a Science related program with a strong preference in Geochemistry or a related field is required.
- Minimum of 10 years experience in a minerals laboratory environment and over 5 year in management role. Expert working knowledge of the mining and minerals industry.
- Expert working knowledge of the laboratory operations
- Competitive and profit driven.
- Strong leadership and management skills with a demonstrated ability to lead and manage people.
- Extended hours and shift work may be required from time to time.
- Travel to other SGS locations or client location may be required from time to time.