- Territory Leadership-responsible for developing a business plan to achieve thedesiredprofit and growth, potential of the assigned territory in alignment with CL Strategy and Company values.
- Hire, develop and retain staff needed to achieve results
- Appoint, develop and build relationships with sufficient distribution partners to sustain growth
- Identify problems and opportunities and develop action plans to improve results;
- Verify execution through management reports, quality reviews, referrals and 1:1 discussions
- Shares responsibility for the continued refinement of LOB growth, policies, guidelines and pricing
- Work with Product Management and Actuarial in annual state and LOB rate reviews
- Underwriting- oversee the execution of a high quality underwriting function
- Ensure that business fits Company strategy and policies and that the appropriate underwriting process, procedures and collaboration are carried out.
- Implement pricing model and monitor performance to model. Assure underwriting actions align with the model by measuring and monitoring pricing by individual, territory and state
- Responsible to execute an effective quality review routine based on staff and territory needs and provide resources for departmental reviews.
- Maintain technical proficiency and delegate authority based on individual staff expertise
- Seek out new ways to improve the underwriting process.
- Agency Management–responsible for developing a Middle Marketdistributionnetworkto achieve the full potential of the assigned territory.
- Enforce success planning, territory planning and other necessary activities to achieve desired results.
- Enforce use of CRM as the masterdatabase and communication vehicle for Agency Management.
- Build effective relationships with agents to promote brand and validate execution of plans.
- Perform ride-alongs and sales coaching with underwriting staff.
- Talent-responsible for selecting, leading, developing & retaining ahigh performing staff.
- Conduct frequent feedback and coaching discussions;
- Administer salary and performance evaluations;
- Identify skill gaps and developmental needs and oversee plans to fill gaps and training needs.
- Provide intensive on-boarding program to ensure culture and fit with company policies;
- Provide mentors and guide less experienced underwriters
- Assure underwriter expertise level matches the business needs.
- Assist in department training and make staff available to do their fair share of training
Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent experience. Prefer ten years of commercial multiple lines product/underwriting experience, with three years of management experience demonstrating leadership skills. Strong underwriting, interpersonal skills, communication, organization and analytical skills needed.