Job Description Summary
Team Leader Commercial Lending is responsible for soliciting, negotiating, underwriting and coordinating the closing of commercial loans in compliance with the Bank’s lending policies and procedures. In addition to developing loan and deposit relationships, the Team Leader Commercial Lending is responsible for managing a team of Relationship Managers charged with the goal of growing loans and deposits, retaining existing loan and deposit relationships, generating loan fee income, cross-selling the Bank’s other products and services, in accordance with annual established goals. Position is also responsible for assisting in attaining established Bank market goals through active participation in sales management and officer call programs.
Team Leader Commercial Lending provides leadership, management, training and support to direct reportsi.e. Relationship Managers and other staff members, and ensures the delivery of the highest level of customer service to the clients of the Bank.
- Accountable for the attainment of annual personal and team business development goals for loan and deposit production, loan fee income generation, cross sales, and portfolio retention.
- Promotes sales delivery through aggressive relationship building with centers of influence and commercial clients and prospects.
- Identifies and develops a business plan and marketing strategy, for existing and new markets within the Bank’s footprint, to expand business development opportunities in accordance with the Bank’s strategic plan.
- Maintains a strong working knowledge of the Bank’s loan, deposit and other products and services.
- Meets with and interviews clients/prospects. Seeks opportunities to build relationships, working within the prescribed framework of the Bank’s policies and procedures to offer flexible and competitive banking solutions, including business loans, lines of credit, deposit and other business products and services.
- Participates in joint calls with Relationship Managers to assist with the offering of commercial lending and deposit products and services, expanding current client relationships, and bringing new clients into the Bank.
- Participates in joint calls with cash management, commercial deposit services, and/or retail branch representatives, as appropriate, to assist with offering complete banking solutions to clients and prospects.
- Gathers necessary loan application/package documents, along with business, financial and personal background information required to move forward with client’s credit request.
- In coordination with Underwriting Group, reviews loan requests and credit history, along with financial statements and spreads, to determine whether proposed credit application includes all information needed and meets lending criteria outlined in the Bank’s lending policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Working with Underwriting Group, prepares proposed credit outlines (pre-flights), including recommendations for loan pricing and terms, to present to Credit Administration for concurrence prior to proceeding with in-depth client negotiations of various and more complex terms and conditions or “indications of interest.”
- With the assistance of Underwriting Group, prepares well developed credit memorandum that conforms to the Bank’s required underwriting format and guidelines, seeking assistance from Regional President or Market President, as needed, to ensure that all complex issues have been adequately addressed.
- Participates in formal credit approval process by presenting loans for approval, as well as supporting loans for approval presented by other team members, to the required level of authority and/or appropriate Loan Committee.
- Communicates credit approval to clients, delivers loan documents for signature, and ensures that loan request is processed and booked.
- Ensures that declinations are communicated to prospects and customers, in written or verbal form, as required by Bank procedures and guidelines.
- Provides exemplary/professional customer service to, and maintains constructive and positive working relationships with, referral sources, loan applicants, borrowers, depositors and their representatives.
- Actively participates in the local business community at large.
- Maintains a strong working knowledge of the Bank’s current Credit policies and procedures established for Commercial Lending.
- Manages and monitors assigned loan and deposit portfolios, communicating directly with borrowers and depositors, as appropriate.
- Provides advice and counsel to customers on financing, deposits and related matters, representing the Bank’s best interests at all times.
- Maintains credit quality of assigned loan portfolio within Bank standards and guidelines; promptly surfaces any and all risk issues uncovered in the course of managing the portfolio. Works in concert with Credit Administration to assess emerging risks and develop resolution strategies.
- Actively participates with Commercial Lending support staff to ensure that all documentation is in place, applicable terms and conditions are adhered to, and required financial exhibit due dates are monitored, with exhibits received from customers in a timely manner.
- Communicates regularly with Cash Management, Commercial Deposit Services, and/or Retail Branch partners to ensure client deposit accounts are handled in an accurate and timely manner, and any issues are promptly resolved.
- Consistently operates in compliance with banking laws and regulations, established Bank policies and procedures, audit and security policies. Consistently complies with all aspects of the Bank Secrecy Act, Anti-Money Laundering Rules, OFAC and FinCen Requirements, and the USA Patriot Act.
- Assures customer information and data is kept confidential.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Management.
- Successfully hires, trains, motivates and manages the performance of direct reports in accordance with the bank’s Human Resources policies, procedures and processes. Builds a cohesive team that drives results.
- Establishes and communicates individual and team goals to all direct reports - setting financial objectives and priorities, measuring and recognizing individual and team contributors, and coaching individuals needing support.
- Provides advice and counsel to Relationship Managers on various topics, including sales, marketing, loan structure, pricing, portfolio management, etc.
- Provides regular oversight of assigned Relationship Managers, including monitoring loan production, deposit generation, fee income generation and cross sales in accordance with annually established goals.
- Serves as a lending resource for Relationship Managers, assisting with structure and analysis of new and renewed loan requests, to help team achieve maximum success.
- Conducts performance related Quarterly Check-In conversations with direct reports, documents these conversations as per the Bank’s guidelines, and prepares annual salary increase recommendations, as appropriate.
- Observes and recommends training plans for direct reports. Builds accountable and supportive relationships; recognizes that team success equates personal success and creates a positive and beneficial working environment for the team.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience in a mid-size or larger financial institution, or equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Minimum of 10 years commercial/business lending experience in the market they expect to serve.
- Previous management experience, demonstrated leadership ability, able to get results through others.
- Skill and experience in structuring all types of Commercial/Industrial loans and owner occupied real estate loans for larger more complex businesses, with a thorough understanding of basic principles of accounting and financial analysis. Experience with all types of SBA lending a plus.
- Proven track record of meeting established production goals, while retaining existing client base.
- Able to provide satisfactory evidence of an established book of business and the depth of referral sources (network) necessary to be successful in development of new business relationships.
- Able to work within a high production work environment and tight time frames, with ability to organize and manage multiple priorities.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with strong presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Strong analytical, time management and organization skills with a high level of attention to detail.
- Computer literate in word processing, financial software used for spreading financial information, Excel and Word. Experience with customer contact management software such as Act, Access or Outlook a plus.
- Willingness and ability to travel within the Bank’s service area to develop new clients and conduct regular site visits.
- An entrepreneurial spirit with the ability to work successfully in a collaborative manner.
- Position requires National Mortgage Licensing System and Registry (NMLS) Registration under the terms of the Safe Act of 2008. Upon active employment with HomeStreet Bank, required to either register via the NMLS registry or re-register and move previous registration to HomeStreet Bank’s registration. Continued employment in this position is contingent upon successful registration after start date and annual re-registration thereafter.
- Demonstrated level of professionalism with ability to motivate and lead a diverse group of talented individuals.
- Positive attitude and team player approach, with excellent customer service skills for both internal and external customers.
- Impeccable personal integrity; ability to maintain confidentiality of customer information and data.
- Builder of relationships and partnerships – ability to excel in a team environment.
- Motivated self-starter with a high level of initiative and demonstrated commitment to facilitating the growth and development of the Bank.
- Position requires business travel within the Bank’s service area.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment such as personal computer, printer, copy machine, telephone and calculator.
- Ability to perform repetitive, finer hand and arm movements, including filing, reaching, carrying, pushing, lifting, and bending.
- Ability to think clearly, critically, and provide appropriate solutions.
- Work activities involve combination of sitting for longer periods and intermittent standing/walking.
- Office environment