The Middle Market, International Finance and US Banking business units are all part of Comerica's Business Bank and provide commercial loans and credit facilities (working capital, inventory, equipment, acquisition, letters of credit and real estate financing) to various business customers of the Bank. In addition to traditional commercial loans, Comerica also assists customers with other products and services including Treasury Management, Trade Financing, Merchant Services and Business Owner Advisory Services.
This Counsel II position requires the highest level of legal analysis, integrity, trust and judgment. The successful attorney must have excellent oral and written communication skills, superb people skills, the ability to learn new areas of law quickly, business acumen, political savvy, an ability to anticipate and meet the needs of a demanding client group, flexibility and the ability to juggle a wide range of assignments simultaneously.
· Provide transactional support, advice and counsel on commercial lending and other transactions.
· Draft, review and negotiate loan documents, agreements, contracts, other legal documents and create standard forms as necessary.
· Draft loan documents, agreements, contracts, other legal documents and create standard forms as necessary.
· Advise senior bank officers, Relationship Managers and support personnel regarding the legal implications of proposed Bank policies, courses of action, credit policies and management decisions.
· Provide legal advice regarding commercial lending matters, business transactions, real estate, industry laws and regulations, policies and procedures, client communications, third party documents and other legal and business matters.
· Train and counsel lending officers, support personnel, credit officers and managers on legal, regulatory and compliance matters that affect the industry, company and their respective lines of business.
· Monitor company and industry issues and work with the business lines to implement and adhere to federal and state legal and regulatory requirements.
· Conduct file reviews and draft/negotiate loan modification agreements, default waivers, forbearance agreements, loan sale agreements and other documents relating to workouts, asset recoveries and reorganizations.
· Provide transactional support to the Corporate Legal Department's litigation, bankruptcy and workout legal specialists.
· Assign, manage and monitor matters assigned to outside counsel.
· Other duties as necessary or assigned to facilitate the Bank's legal needs and accomplish its business goals.
Travel is not typically required of this position.
This position is located in Dallas, Texas and reports to Eric Chodun, Senior Vice President and Divisional General Counsel
Relocation assistance is not provided for this position.
· Attorney must be licensed to practice law and a member in good standing in Texas or admitted to practice and a member in good standing of another U.S. bar association (preferably California, Michigan or Florida). Attorneys not licensed in Texas must otherwise be in compliance with the in-house counsel registration rules of Texas and within 180 days of employment, be admitted to the Texas bar.
· Minimum of seven (7) years of experience either with a U.S. law firm and/or in-house legal department with at least 5 years of representing financial institutions.
· Experience preparing commercial loan, real estate loan and other credit facility documentation.
· Experience with real estate transactions.
· Experience with Treasury Management products and services is a plus.
· General familiarity with laws and regulations pertaining to commercial lending, real estate and business transactions.
· Understands the supported business lines and related industries.
· Excellent legal skills and judgment including ability to interpret and explain statutes and regulations.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Strong interpersonal, analytical, problem-solving, time management and organizational skills.
· Ability to understand and be responsive to the business' needs throughout the organization while mitigating risk.
· Adaptable, flexible and willing to continue formal and informal learning and development.
· Ability to work independently and as part of a team, manage complex projects and multitask successfully in fast-paced and changing business environment.
· Self Starter.