Strategizes and leads risk management responsibility for assigned region of commercial loan portfolios and related products or services; to include Specialty Finance, Restaurant Finance, asset based lending, and asset finance. Responsible for objectively identifying risk and proactively guiding the development of protective and balanced credit structures and decisions. Ensure adherence to portfolio strategic objectives, credit policies and all related administrative procedures. Highly visible senior management leadership role requiring decisiveness and interpersonal skills combined with the ability to prioritize and operate in a multi-tasked and geographically dispersed environment both independently and expediently. Credit authority & accountability on par with Senior Portfolio Management Leaders & Bank Presidents. Directs Credit Officers within regions, and also typically manages a Middle Market CO account load themselves on top of other geographic leadership risk management roles.
- Middle Market credit Evaluation & decisioning: provide ultimate credit decisioning and for transactions, providing credit endorsements or recommendations to senior approvers. As a Regional Senior Credit Officer, the role also requires engaging with CO's within Region to support their higher risk credit decisions -- elevated through either policy requirements or through credit or business line escalation due to unique risks of the transaction.
- Business Partnering with assigned line lending units -- including constructive cultural integration and client solution coordination and as needed participation in targeted customer/prospect calls to objectively assess business models and management adequacy, and to facilitate efficient and informed credit decisioning.
- Perform 2nd line of defense portfolio management responsibilities for assigned accounts. Included but not limited to problem loan early identification and management. In partnership with Portfolio Management , monitor delinquency, documentation and policy exception management.
- Member of Bank Credit Risk Management Subcommittees, Project Improvement Teams, and Regional Strategy/Risk Appetite Setting Teams.
- Provide credit and leadership coaching to RMs, PMs within area of influence and partner with senior PM and RM leadership to collaboratively work as a team to deliver on shared goal of generating healthy loan growth while also maintaining sound credit quality.
- Contribute to internal and regulatory exam coordination and management as it relates to assigned portfolios and related products or services.
- Periodic risk based presentations and risk appetite and strategy/policy formation to Senior Risk Committees and Executive Management.
- Participate in community related activities and exemplify the Credo in all activities.
- Contribute to important projects as assigned and/or independently identified, particularly those focused on risk management effectiveness, increased risk management or credit delivery efficiency, strategy and risk appetite optimization and company culture enhancing initiatives.
- Comply with relevant company policies, local policies, procedures, regulations and laws.
- Actively consider the inherent, material risks of the business/organization. Analyze the risk profile and seek confirmation that the risks are being appropriately identified, assessed and mitigated to the desired level (Risk Appetite).
- Establish and deploy robust risk and control frameworks which meet the strategic needs of the company, including communication, training and awareness.
- Provide senior executive and/or Board with relevant management information and reports and escalate concerns where appropriate.
- Provide expert support and advice to the business on risk management. This includes, as appropriate to functional role, interpreting and complying with the risk policy standards, laws, regulations and risk management framework
- Experience with asset quality measures – criticized/classified loans, charge-offs, delinquency, overdrafts, documentation exceptions, Credit Reviews and Internal Audits
- Perception of effectiveness by executive line management and Risk Management personnel –ability to support growth objectives while balancing portfolio goals and positively influencing behavior
- Knowledge of, and ability interpret & enforce, Credit Policy & procedures
- Compliance with administrative deadlines, reporting/monitoring expectations and budgets
- Leadership and influence within peer groups
- Bachelor's Degree required; Master's Degree preferred
- Commercial Credit Training required, and 10 years of lending, portfolio management, credit review or related risk management experience expected.