The Commercial Credit Administration Director is responsible for the administration of all business-purpose lending activities and asset quality at BECU. This position will continually assess commercial Services credit quality and related risk rating analytic framework, overseeing policy and guideline development. The role is also responsible for the approval of all business related credit, either directly or with recommendation to the VP, Business Credit Administration or Senior Loan Committee. The Commercial Credit Administration Director will be a key participant in overseeing the portfolio management and provide credit administration for the commercial portfolio through monitoring, oversight and analysis. In addition, as the first line credit administrator, the Commercial Credit Administration Director will review 100% of all Preflight and loan requests.
- Perform all responsibilities in accordance with BECU Competencies, compliance, regulatory and Information Protection requirements.
- Develop and ensure the effective implementation of policies, guidelines and underwriting standards impacting business-purpose lending.
- Oversee portfolio management, including asset quality monitoring and reporting and determination of assets to be transferred to a Business Services Special Assets Officer.
- Monitor problem loan portfolio, including development and monitoring of problem loan-related action plans. Work towards satisfactory resolution of problem loans in conjunction with the Special Assets Officer and VP, Business Credit Administration, including attending member meetings and partnering on calls with Special Assets Officer.
- Advise senior management of any key industry changes in certain commercial real estate segments and property types, as well as the commercial and industrial loan portfolio (C & I).
- Complete monthly loan volume approval activity and analysis.
- Assess ongoing market risk and new markets, including analyzing key market trends and developments in the business credit environment and advising management regarding needed commercial portfolio strategy changes and concentration risk levels.
- Monitor loan portfolio credit quality, assessing the sufficiency of assigned risk ratings through the credit approval and review processes. Provide key analytical data and assessment of risk factors for monthly Commercial Credit Portfolio Highlights report.
- Assess real estate market trends for commercial and industrial portfolios, adjusting risk concentration levels accordingly.
- Provide credit administration for the commercial portfolio through monitoring, oversight and analysis; oversee the management of problem loans in conjunction with Special Assets Officer (SAO).
- Advise and collaborate with Leadership on matters pertaining to commercial lending and the delegation of lending authorities, allowance for Loan Losses and Leases (ALLL) calculations for the commercial portfolio.
- Maintain thorough knowledge of regulatory requirements related to business lending and services, including regulatory agencies such as the Department of Financial Institutions and National Credit Union Administration (NCUA).
- Maintain knowledge of all Credit Union departments with commercial lending responsibilities, taking an active role in ensuring interactions with each of them are consistent with established objectives.
- Provide ongoing coaching, mentoring and credit training regarding business-purpose credit, key underwriting analytics and industry updates.
- Maintain the necessary operational audit and management information reporting that may be required, keeping statistical records as necessary.
- Serve as member of the Senior Loan Committee, including chairing and preparing the meeting credit package in the absence of the Chair of the Senior Loan Committee.
- Act in the capacity of a Senior Loan Approver of Business Services for the Credit Union, having the credit approval and loan review authority as specified in the Credit Union's Loan Policy Manual.
- Serves as one of the key back up's for the Vice President – commercial Services Credit Administration in their absence.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, or equivalent work or education related experience required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum fifteen years of experience required in commercial credit analysis and approval, including managing commercial credit ( real estate, commercial and industrial/business loan) portfolios as a senior credit administrator with minimum portfolio size of $500 million .
- Experience with SBA lending (to include underwriting, documentation and monitoring) preferred.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to effectively communicate and provide customer service.
- Ability to explain complex risk analytics to a wide audience.
- Excellent project and portfolio management skills.
- Effective leadership and negotiation skills.
- Occasional travel required.
- Full time hours required, with additional hours as necessary.
BECU is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected status.