Commercial Counsel (Marketing/ Claims Development)
In this role, you have the opportunity to
Support Philips’ Bothell, WA based Oral Health Care (Sonicare) business which is a global leader in oral health. Over time this role will expand to provide legal support to various emerging to consumer business strategies in the health care space. This role is a great opportunity for a business lawyer who has primarily supported the development, manufacture and marketing of fast moving to consumer products as well as related connected products and solutions, particularly in a healthcare environment. Familiarity with the issues surrounding business models that incorporate the cloud in B2B and B2C settings and leverage ecosystems that support health care related IT platforms would be a plus.
You are responsible for
- Advising on marketing claims development and adequacy of substantiation.
- Reviewing and approving advertising and promotional materials for consumer advertising, including for medical devices and digitally connected health care solutions.
- Reviewing of marketing/advertising materials to ensure compliance with FTC and FDA requirements and consumer protection laws, including for connected products. Ability to offer creative solutions.
- Advising on CPSC requirements, including recalls.
- Recognizing legal risks and communicating effectively regarding same with business partners.
- Contract drafting and negotiation, including for product sales and marketing programs and alliances.
- Ability to recognize privacy and regulatory issues and work with specialists in those areas.
- Litigation management.
- Advising on applicable legal requirements for new business models and assist business in developing compliant strategies and proposed business arrangements/models
You are a part of
The Law Department is an integral part of Philips. Like our products, services and solutions, we make a difference. We are dedicated to providing high quality legal services on a timely basis to our colleagues around the world so that we as a company can not only better serve our customers but also the communities we serve and in which we live. At Philips, lawyers are assigned to specific businesses so that they can develop deep insights into the legal, clinical, social, and political issues affecting them. After a few years, they are reassigned so to leverage their accumulated experience in other businesses. Our goal is to provide a work environment that continually challenges intellectually and professionally and provides the opportunity to do our life’s best work. We are convinced that by continually expanding our perspective, we will contribute to our corporate goals of improving patient outcomes, reducing the complexity and cost of delivering excellent health care, and helping people live longer, fuller lives in dignity and with respect. We seek a like-minded legal professional to join us in our Bothell, WA office.
To succeed in this role, you should have the following skills and experience
In addition to having a J.D. from an accredited U.S. law school, admission to a state bar and 6+ years in-house or law firm experience, a successful candidate will have the following substantive experience and skill set:
- Providing successful legal support drafting and negotiating commercial contracts for multiple clients in a fast paced setting.
- Meaningful experience in tradelaws: FTC and CPSC in particular.
- Meaningful experience in claims development, substantiation and review.
- Experience and exposure to relevant privacy laws; apps; and digitally connected products.
- Providing clear ethical guidance in all aspects of work.
- Maturity, communications and interpersonal skills, influencing skills, good judgment.
- Ability to effectively team up and build rapport with business partners and colleagues around the world.
- Persuasive presentation and counseling skills
- Excellent contract drafting skills
- Strategic thinker
- A passion about improving how healthcare is delivered is a plus.
- A collegial, cooperative and an open person who enjoys being a team player and builder in a rapidly changing environment, and feels comfortable working in a global environment on projects involving professionals from around the world.
- Ability to travel.
In return, we offer you
An environment to grow and develop your skills and abilities while maintain a healthy work-life balance. This role will allow you to make an immediate impact on our Oral Healthcare business.
Why should you join Philips?
Working at Philips is more than a job. It’s a calling to create a healthier society through meaningful work, focused on improving 3 billion lives a year by delivering innovative solutions across the health continuum. Our people experience a variety of unexpected moments when their lives and careers come together in meaningful ways.