The Chase Middle Market Banking Group is part of JP Morgan Chase's Commercial Bank and focuses on companies with annual sales of $20 million up to $500 million.
Chase's Middle Market Banking footprint covers 23,000 + clients with over 600 bankers in 26 states across the United States. Chase Middle Market Banking is the 3rd largest traditional Middle Market lender in the country.
As a Sr. Underwriter in Middle Market, your primary role is to take ownership of your portfolio and to utilize excellent credit skills to work independently on the portfolio of relationships assigned to you. You will appropriately assess the risk in your portfolio, diligently managing the portfolio (i.e. renewals, modifications, managing the credit metrics), and meeting customer deadlines.
You will be a partner to the Bankers in the Market, striving to balance sales and credit quality goals. You will be looked to as an expert on structuring and Credit Policy and will be the go to person for the Bankers.
You will be looked upon as a leader both within and outside of Underwriting; you will provide depth to the local credit leadership team and serve as a mentor to less experienced underwriters and bankers.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Taking ownership of your portfolio, acting with a sense of urgency, doing whatever it takes to effectively get the job done.
- Structuring transactions by being open minded and creative and thinking from the standpoint of "how can we do this deal" while balancing the risk/reward rather than concluding immediately that the deal cannot be done. Additionally, you will provide ideas/suggestions on how to market our structure to the customer.
- Utilizing excellent credit skills to author well thought out and concise analysis of Middle Market relationships using appropriate structure and identifying key risks.
- Work in partnership with the Bankers to develop fulsome Client relationships including being looked to as the go to person when the banker is out.
- Working proactively, in a constructive, diplomatic manner, with both internal and external contacts to keep transactions moving.
- Effective leader in complex transactions including syndications and multi-level capital structures.
- Having the ability to quickly and accurately evaluate smaller relationships to determine if the risk profile is acceptable and recommend simple structures that adequately protect the bank while not over engineering the transaction.
- Providing leadership in the market by being a positive contributor to the team including: being a mentor to less experienced team members and embracing change.
- Demonstrating excellent communication skills both internally and externally and using those communication skills to effectively solve problems.
- The ability and courage to voice your opinion in a clear, concise manner and to defend that position with Management.
- BA/BBA/MBA and completion of a major corporate or commercial bank credit training program (or the equivalent corporate banking/corporate finance experience) and typically a minimum of 8 years’ experience in commercial banking/lending which might include credit, structuring and marketing experience
- Significant accounting and finance knowledge and commercial banking experience
- Demonstrated excellent verbal and written skills, interpersonal skills, and analytical and problem solving skills
Req #: 180000198