This position is within the Corporate Client Banking Energy Finance Group, which focuses primarily on U.S. exploration & production, mid-stream and oil field services companies. These companies are users of traditional banking services and often have needs for various investment banking products.
The Underwriter is the primary credit risk manager for corporate banking customers and transactions.
Works in partnership with banking, syndications, and product partners to analyze, structure, risk rate, document and approve credit exposures resulting from loans and other commercial banking products.
Responsible for the on-going monitoring and risk management of an assigned portfolio of credits. Required to develop a broad and deep understanding of the business, industry, financial and competitive risks faced by customers in the assigned portfolio.
The majority of the clients are located in Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Colorado, Pennsylvania and Canada. Travel may be required from time to time.
- The Senior Underwriter is responsible for identifying the key risk factors related to proposed transactions, as well as his/her assigned portfolio.
- Develop a well-informed and balanced view of the business, financial and competitive risks faced by companies in the energy industry.
- Lead or participate in customer due diligence sessions as necessary.
- Attend client bank meetings to develop a better understanding of clients and assess management.
- Prepare and analyze cash flow models that incorporate the impact of forward-looking risk assessment on key value drivers.
- Develop and recommend appropriate credit structures relative to your risk assessment.
Manage Credit Approval Process
- The Senior Underwriter is responsible for ensuring all credit exposures are approved at the appropriate level.
- Prepare credit approval write-ups, present and recommend credits for approval.
- Analyze and negotiate covenants and other key terms with the customer as part of the deal team.
- Review legal documentation and coordinate with outside counsel to ensure terms are appropriate and consistent with credit approval.
On-going Portfolio Management
- The Senior Underwriter is responsible for the on-going risk assessment of each customer in his/her assigned portfolio.
- Ensure risk ratings are accurate and reflect our current forward-looking view of the customer.
- Early identification and proactive management of deteriorating credits.
- Analyze, prepare and present for approval all required waivers, amendments and extensions.
- Prepare and present semi-annual portfolio review material to senior management.
- Work with bank examiners and internal credit reviewers to validate credit quality and integrity of the credit process.
- Work closely with Portfolio Management Assistants/Credit Assistants to ensure accuracy of credit system data.
- Help to coordinate and facilitate the syndication process of Agented deals by working closely with syndications team, bankers, attorneys and participant banks.
- Minimum of 6 years underwriting and/or banking/lending experience, which could include credit, structuring and/or marketing.
- BA/BBA degree, MBA a plus
- Completion of a major corporate bank credit training program or equivalent experience
- Oil & Gas related industry experience a plus
- Knowledge of general bank credit policies
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills to deal with clients, bankers, product partners and senior management.
- Excellent PC and financial modeling skills
Req #: 180036173_1