Boeing is seeking a Satellite Command & Control Software/Systems Engineer to join a dynamic, diverse, and innovative engineering and development team to create new application software and maintain legacy software for Satellite Ground Stations. Our software group develops software and integrates with commercial software and open source software to offer our customer highly capable, high performing, and highly reliable command and control systems.
Boeing is working with an innovative customer to develop and deliver a constellation of remote sensing satellites with ground station command and control nodes distributed globally in the Far East, Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia, Australia, and South America.
The candidate would be responsible in creating and maintaining software to accomplish these key mission critical core functions:
- Spacecraft telemetry and telecommand encoding and decoding
- Maintain databases defining the telemetry, telecommand, data tables, and payload data processing transformations required for data ingest, extract, and load
- Display data to operations users in an intuitive and clear manner
- Create Business Rules logic to enable autonomous spacecraft command and control including fault detection, isolation, and correction processes.
- Store and promptly retrieve years of spacecraft data both sent and received
- Reduce and trend spacecraft data to track and predict hardware/software performance and anomalous behaviors
- Build operational procedures to ensure spacecraft operational health and performance
Knowledge of one or more languages (speaking or writing) other than English is desired. Potential for travel to locations throughout the world installing, integrating, testing, and training satellite ground station software to non-US Citizens exists. Travellocations may include but are not limited to Abu Dhabi, Bangkok, Bogota, Doha, Hanoi, Marrakech, Moscow, Munich, Pretoria, Riyadh, Santiago, Sao Paulo, Singapore, Seoul, Taipei and Tokyo.
A successful candidate will have a passion for and excel in the following skills and abilities:
- First Time Quality – in our case this means software that meets more than the intended use case and behaves well even when processing the unexpected
- Understanding of the core computing data types from the Java and C programming language
- Ability to quickly adapt to reading, understanding, and maintaining software code and interfaces written by someone else, sometimes modern and sometimes several decades old
- Familiarity and experience with the aspects of XML documents, such as Schemas, XPath, and code binding, such as Java JAXB
- Conceiving and implementing easy to use and understand Application Programming Interfaces (API)s for programmers that are not necessarily professional software engineers
- Comfort and desire to focus, interact, and work in a UNIX (Linux) style environment
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a "US Person" as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required. "US Person" includes US Citizen, lawful permanent resident, refugee, or asylee.
Boeing is the world's largest aerospace company and leading manufacturer of commercial airplanes and defense, space and security systems. We are engineers and technicians. Skilled scientists and thinkers. Bold innovators and dreamers. Join us, and you can build something better for yourself, for our customers and for the world.
Space and Missile Systems
Relocation Assistance Available
No. Relocation assistance is not a negotiable benefit.
Bachelor, Master or Doctorate of Science degree from an accredited course of study, in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry. ABET is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
- Experience in Java
We work in several programming languages and a successful candidate should be competent in Java or C/C++, with up to 2 additional practiced languages, with a wide variance acceptable including, but not limited to, Ada, XSLT, Perl, and Python to name a few.
Members of our team learn and grow into many new skills. The following list of skills are differentiators that strengthen an applicant’s qualifications, but without these, candidates should expect our environment to contain these opportunities:
- Reading and Writing the Unified Modeling Language (UML) to formally and informally document designs and algorithms
- Use of static and dynamic code analyzers to help ensure code quality
- Software unit testing and measuring test completeness with code coverage metrics
- Agile software development process and occasionally traditional waterfall process
- Familiarity with commercial Command & Control software packages
- Experience with distributed computing middleware, such as CORBA, DDS, ActiveMQ, and Boeing developed products
- Participation in the open source community and open standards community for the space industry
- Use and experience with cloud technologies and big data solutions/frameworks
- Developing within a service-oriented architecture with experience deploying to application servers (WebLogic and Tomcat) and developing and maintaining WSDLs and XSDs
- Experience with Discrepancy Reporting/Tracking tools, Java Script, XML, Automated test applications and web base applications
- Experience with the MS Office suite of tools and effective written and verbal communication skills is beneficial
Job ID 1700014682