The Coffee Formulation R&D Scientist will be responsible for leading the coffee roasting and flavor development program. The objective of this program is to expand the current coffee flavor space portfolio enabling us to maintain a competitive advantage. The position will leverage engineering principles of reaction kinetics and thermodynamics in relation to coffee roasting to generate unique reproducible coffee flavors. In addition, they will have responsibility for developing new product formulas that deliver solutions against consumer unmet needs and business priorities. He/she will need a working understanding of the scientific method to design, execute, analyze and summarize multiple experimental iterations. The role will require extensive coffee tasting (cuppings) and a desire to develop as an expert coffee cupper.
- Design and run lab and pilot plant (in partnership with Process) coffee roasting experimental studies to test hypotheses in the areas of coffee flavor space creation. Coordinate and lead product sample cuppings to determine final flavor results and correlations from roasting experimentation.
- Initiate and lead product formulation development of new technologies and product innovation that delivers against the consumer needs and design criteria.
- Lead cross-functional data model building initiative. Coordinate and oversee project design, refinement of structured data attributes, testing, implementation, data collection and model building. Actively collaborate and partner with team members, both internal and external to R&D, to develop key tasks and project plans for timely completion of goals
- Communicate results, key learnings, and recommendations. Author technical proposals, summaries, presentations, and project reports. Maintain technical documentation (eg laboratory notebooks and invention records).
- Develop coffee flavor cupping skills through formal training, participation in cross-team cuppings support and descriptive attribute calibration. Develop expertise as an expert coffee cupper.
- BS or higher degree in Chemical Engineering
- A minimum of five (5) years’ experience relevant to Research & Development is required. Credit toward this experience requirement will be considered for advanced degrees and/or other appropriate functional history.
- Engineering experience with application to new product development in a beverage or food related field is highly desired.
- Experience with beverage/food processes, e.g. thermal processing is a plus.
- Experience with managing large data sets, statistics and modeling is a plus.
- Ability to discriminate basic flavor differences in brewed coffee. A tasting assessment will be conducted during the candidate interview.
- Strong critical thinking and complex problem solving.
- Ability to apply statistical thinking and decision making.
- Ability to work independently, with guidance in only complex situations
- Collaboration, ability to create and maintain productive relationships
- Effective presentation, verbal and written communication skills.
- Up to 20% Travel required
- Must be willing/able to drive a company or rental vehicle as needed